Easter a widely-celebrated holiday amongst student body

Though Easter does not get the same amount of recognition as Christmas does; thanks to candy, Easter baskets, money, and of course the Easter bunny, it is a holiday loved by children.

But how many people celebrate Easter?

40 CHS students surveyed.

The Easter egg is one of the most famous aspects of the holiday. According to History.com, the egg is an ancient symbol of new life and has been associated with pagan festivals celebrating spring. However, from a Christian perspective, Easter eggs are said to represent Jesus’ emergence from the tomb and resurrection.

Lizette Larson-Miller, a professor with the Graduate Theological Union of Berkeley, traces Easter egg hunts to the Protestant Christian Reformer Martin Luther, stating, “We know that Martin Luther had Easter egg hunts where the men hid the eggs for the women and children, and it probably has this connection back to this idea of eggs being the tomb.”

Out of the sample size of 40 students and staff members surveyed, 37 said that they do celebrate Easter. Subsequently, of the 37 who celebrate Easter, 27 participate in an egg hunt either by themselves, through a community event, or with their family.

Sophomore Abby Stilson commented on her family’s Easter traditions. Amongst these traditions were Holy Thursday mass as well as midnight mass at her church on the Saturday night the day before Easter, searching for Easter eggs and candy the morning of the holiday, and an Easter dinner with both sides of her family.

“I’ve always gone to the Easter mass since I was just a baby, but I didn’t start going to the Holy Thursday mass until me and my sister were a little older,” said Stilson.

40 CHS students surveyed.

Abby shared that her favorite memory of Easter was being a child who believed in the Easter bunny and then going downstairs to find all the little candy filled eggs.

Junior Olivia Love shares a similar compassion for Easter, sharing that her family traditions included going over to her grandma’s house for dinner with her dad’s side of the family, a church service on Easter morning with her immediate family, and searching for Easter baskets in the morning before the service.

“The searching for baskets tradition didn’t start until we were a little bit older, because when we were little it would’ve taken hours to find baskets in our house. But we’ve gone to church and had a family dinner ever Easter for as long as I can remember,” said Love.

Love recalls her favorite memory of Easter to be when she and her older sister once stole the candy from her brother’s basket and hid it throughout the house to mess with him.

While it may not hold quite the weight that a holiday such as Christmas does, or be quite as fun as a 4th of July celebration, it is clear the Easter holds a special place in the hearts of many, and brings back the memories of being a child who couldn’t wait for the Easter bunny to come.

About the Writers
Troy Tyson, Senior Contributor

If there was one man on the face of the earth used to describe the expression Jack of all Trades, he would be Troy Alexander Tyson. In a generation consumed...

Dania Bajwa, Senior Contributor

Dania has never felt as though she needed a sport to define herself, which in a traditional American high school setting is against the grain. However,...