Meditation and its positive impacts

Grace Ramun and Mia Malvasi

Meditation is more than the stopping of thoughts, it is more than sitting with your legs crossed and eyes shut. It’s about so much more, and today we will dive into this subject with Grace Ramun and discuss how exactly meditation works, different techniques, and how it impacts her daily life.

How Meditation Works:

Meditation is the slowing, and at one point stopping of your thoughts, one of the biggest misconceptions about meditation is the actual process of getting your thoughts to be still. Its the state of mind you come to, not a physical process of making them “stop”. How to get to that state of mind sounds quite easy, but it is actually very difficult, all you need to do is put all of your energy into one physical part of yourself. For example, feel the air come in through your nose, and out your mouth, pay attention to the rise and fall of your chest. Maybe do a mental scan of your body from head to toe, really paying attention to your body and what its telling you. You will probably start to realize things you have not noticed before. Like which parts of your body are more tense than others or cold air on the outside of your skin, but an immense heat coming from within. While this concept sounds somewhat easy, it may not be. It is okay for it to be hard, if it’s not you may not be doing it right. What makes meditation so effective is while you’re putting your energy into the physical aspects of life, at the same time you are blocking out and shutting down the emotional ones that may be causing stress and pain. It allows you to re enter every situation with a clear and refreshed mind.

Different Methods:

You can meditate in any situation you’re in. There is no right or wrong, you don’t always need to be in a quiet room sitting straight up. While that is good method to start off with, that isn’t what brings you to that stillness. Since meditation is the focus of your physical body you can do it at any time, while running, in a loud room, during class, anywhere. Two of my favorite ways to meditate are when I’m listening to music, or when I’m doing a physical activity like yoga or running. When I listen to music to meditate, I put in ear buds and close my eyes. I start by pulling out every individual sound I hear, then I move onto picturing colors for the sounds I’ve picked out, and finally I give those sounds and colors shapes. While this may sound odd to you or not make sense, it all goes back to what works for you. When running or doing any kind of physical activity, I go back to the basics of following my breath and doing a scan of my body to pull out any sensation I feel. There’s no rule to what you can focus on, or when to do it, so starting off by following a guided meditation is great. From there on it’s up to your own exploration to see what works best for you.

How It Affects My Life:

I meditate everyday and I don’t know what I’d do without it, or even who I would be. Its apart of everything I do, from the good, to the bad. Meditation doesn’t fix my problems but it allows me to be a better version of myself, and without that I wouldn’t be able to fix my problems or get through hard times. It even helps when I’m bored, I just focus on the physical things around me and I no longer find myself struggling with boredom. As far as the good goes meditation has taught me to genuinely live in the moment and that’s a better gift than anything I could ever get.

About the Writers
Grace Ramun, Junior Contributor

Most people know coffee as beverage to wake you up and give you energy to go on with your day. To Grace Ramun it is more than that, she has been using...

Mia Malvasi, Junior Contributor

Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Jim Gaffigan and so many more comedians use comedy in very different ways, every single day. Each person has their very own...