Senior class looking for second straight Spirit Week victory

For the first time ever the Senior class at Canfield High School is going into spirit with a win already under their belt.

Last school year was the first time underclassmen had defeated the Seniors during spirit week at Canfield High School.

“This spirit week is even more important now because this is the last time we’ll play Poland for a while,” said Canfield’s starting Linebacker and Running Back, Colin Hritz.

Most years the voting is skewed by the teachers to make the Seniors win. Even if another grade has more spirit, it didn’t matter.

The events that earn points are: hallway decorations, theme participation for each day, hoop design, and standings from the events during the pep assembly.

Since the standings from the events are public and can’t be fixed, the teachers make sure that the voting for hallway decorations and hoop design are made in favor of the seniors, and the theme participation numbers are changed.

Because of the impossible odds to win, the underclassmen participation becomes non-existent, but the Class of 2019 showed that they would be the class to change the bias for good.

Throughout the 2018 spirit week, the then Juniors (Class of 2019) were robbed in the voting for the class decorations and hoop design categories. If that wasn’t bad enough, even though it has not been proven, it is thought that the numbers for participation were altered to help the Seniors(Class of 2018)  gain a huge lead.

Although the Juniors were far behind in points from throughout the week, they dominated the other classes in the activities during the pep rally, paving them a way to victory.

This sudden emergence of the Juniors made the teachers scramble.

The mass amount of points earned were not enough to completely overcome the deficit from the skewed amount of points the Seniors earned throughout the week.

The pep assembly events ended in a tie between the Seniors and Juniors. The grades were pleading for a tie breaker. The teachers decided that a wheelbarrow race would decide who would win.

The group of Conor Crogan, Chance Merlin, and Dominic Pilolli came out with the win to defeat the Canfield High School Class of 2018.

At that moment, the Class of 2019 made history in Canfield High School, becoming the first class to defeat the seniors and, hopefully, end the bias results of spirit week.

“The Class of 2019 has changed the way spirit week works. We’ve made our mark on this school,” student section leader and the person who made last years win possible, Chance Merlin said.

This year the teachers have said that spirit week will no longer be fixed and all grades will have the same chances to win. But the question is, will that statement stay true?

This years spirit week is up and coming, and it is not looking too good. Every year, the students have designated days that they are able to stay after school to help make posters and prepare for the week. Little to no people have stayed after school to help. Participation is already weak. Will this change in time for next week?

Next week may be the last ever Poland game. We will see whether or not the last Poland spirit week ends on a good note.

About the Writer
Cece Economus, Senior Contributor

Cece Economus

Senior Cece Economus has always had school spirit, but this year, that was set in stone when she was elected Spirit Coordinator.

The Spirit Coordinator at Canfield is one of the 13 members of the Senior Class officers with the President, Vice President, Secretary, etc. All of these positions have to be recommended by 2 teachers, get 15 student signatures, and fill out a nomination packet to even be allowed to run in the election.

Before the election last May she was, “really hoping I got elected because I thought I had some really great ideas.” She admits that at first she was nervous and didn’t know if she’d win. But once she got all the signatures, recommendations, and turned in the packet, everyone else running against her dropped out of the election.

Obviously, she won the election and is now the Spirit Coordinator. With the new title, Economus now has a new set of responsibilities.

“I helped get the senior car, I’m in charge of the student section so if Mr. Moldovan or any of the other school administrators has a question then they’ll come to me, I got to help out with the themes a little bit, and help come up with the ideas for the banner in front of the student section.”

She also runs the student section Twitter account which announces all the themes for games, tells people when games are for all sports, and retweets all things Canfield.

“Chance and I run the account together and that’s probably the most fun part of the job. I get to pick the pictures to post and what captions to put on. Everything has to look official so I always make Chance text me before he posts anything.”

Along with being the Spirit Coordinator, she’s also one of the flag runners at the football games and one of the leaders of the student section.

“Having school spirit kinda makes school fun for me. If everyone has school spirit, that’s when everything is more fun.”