A natural way to whiten your teeth

Sydney Karlock, Senior Contributor

You might be thinking “What is Oil Pulling?” According to the American Dental Association Oil Pulling is swishing edible oil (coconut, sesame or something similar) in your mouth for up to 20 minutes. Oil Pulling as allegedly been practiced for thousands of years in Southern Asia and India.

Why would someone do this? Is it going to benefit you in the long run? Oil Pulling is mentioned in the Ayurveda (a holistic system of medicine which evolved in India up to 5000 years ago) text Charaka Samhita. In this text, Oil Pulling is referred to as Kavala or Gandusha, and can supposedly cure 30 systemic diseases (such as headaches, diabetes, or even asthma.) More commonly, Oil Pulling is used to prevent teeth decay, bleeding gums, dryness of the throat, cracked lips, strengthening teeth, gums, and the jaw. The main attraction of the practice is its ability to whiten teeth.

The latter is what attracted me to this practice. One day, about three years ago, my sister and I were looking for an inexpensive way to whiten our teeth. After many years of braces and drinking coffee, the endless amount of “whitening toothpastes” weren’t gonna cut it anymore. After looking online, we found the natural budget friendly solution, Oil Pulling. In the beginning, swishing oil in your mouth for 20 minutes seemed extremely intimidating. Having done this for years, I am used to it now. To an outsider, it may seem time consuming, but it has become part of my daily routine. In my nightly routine, Oil Pulling occurs before I brush my teeth.

I’m sure many of you are thinking, “does this really work?” For me personally, I have noticed a difference in the cleanliness of my mouth, my gums appear to be healthier. When I have been to the dentist since participating in this practice, I received a positive response from my dentist, being cavity free. Additionally, I have noticed a difference in the actual appearance of my teeth, noticing them becoming whiter overtime.

If you are looking for a natural alternative to whiten your teeth, or improve your dental health I would suggest trying out Oil Pulling!

Click here for some hair care tips