Prom prep in full swing

Prom is the most formal dance at Canfield High School in which primarily juniors and seniors attend. It is often the most anticipated dance because of its popularity in movies and TV shows. For some students, it feels like a pinnacle moment within their high school experience. It has been a tradition at Canfield High School since the 1950s and it continues to grow each year.

This year, on May 5, Canfield High School will host A BLOOMful of Memories themed prom. The Junior Class Officers have put much time and effort in preparing this event for the upperclassmen and hope to make it the best one yet. With prom being right around the corner, many boys and girls are beginning to think about what that weekend will look like for them. However, their preparations are drastically different.

We first surveyed girls attending the dance and had them answer three questions about what they do to get ready. The first question asked if they had purchased a dress and if so, for how long. Out of the 20 girls that took the survey, only 3 of them have yet to buy their dress. Most girls said that they have had their dress from a range of one week to a month. One girl even wrote that she had picked out her dress before homecoming which took place in October.

The next question was asking what time they begin to get ready on the day of prom. The times ranged from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm and everything in between. 70% of the girls begin getting ready between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm, 10% of the girls start getting ready between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm, 10% of the girls get ready between 8:00 am and 9:00 am, and 5% of the girls start getting ready at 10:00 am.

Finally, we wanted to see what other things girls do that week in order to prepare. Some things written down were nails, eyelash appointments, workouts, diets, jewelry purchases, shoe purchases, spray tans, etc. That being said, 60% of the girls get their nails done and only 5% of the girls get a microdermabrasion facial. We wanted to observe the length and extent of a high school girl getting ready for prom.

Next we surveyed boys using similar questions in order to be able to compare the differences between them. The results were astounding. Most boys wrote that they don’t know the specifics of what they will wear; however, they know they’ll have to either rent or buy a tuxedo. In terms of when they’ll get ready, 100% of the boys responded that they will get ready no earlier than an hour and a half before they have to leave for pictures. This response had the most drastic difference out of the three, as most girls will get ready several hours before it is time to leave. Finally, a little over 25% said they have already asked their date, while the remaining percentage has not but plans to do it soon. Clearly, boys spend much less time preparing compared to girls.

Our results have proven that compared to boys, girls have many more steps to prepare for a big event such as prom. With that being said, we can conclude that prom is one of the significant events held for Canfield High School and will continue to be for years to come. The variations in how the girls and boys prep for this event held true to what we expected the results to be. We are both excited for what prom will consist of this year and we hope as many students can attend as possible. We will see you May 5!