Take a Deep Breath

Fortnite has been taking control of Canfield High School’s student body. The survival genre of video games has been revitalized by games like Fortnite. Regardless of the quality of the game, students have seemingly become obsessed with Fortnite. One potential explanation is that students are seeking comfort in the game. Fortnite serves as one of many outlets for students to relax after a stressful day at school. However, the time spent playing video games can increase stress. For students to effectively reduce stress, time management, daily habits, and local businesses must be considered.

A survey of 40 students found that 100% believed that school added to their stress. This could be due to the fact that it is difficult to manage academics, extracurriculars, and socialization. Time management is imperative to reducing stress. First, you have to figure out all of your tasks and goals. Second, you must prioritize your tasks. When prioritizing, consider the necessity and urgency of each task. The task that is essential and most immediate should be accomplished first. If you have copious amounts of homework and studying to do, playing several hours of Fortnite is not wise. Third, stop allowing distractions to stop you from accomplishing your goals. If you feel overwhelmed, do not take on any additional or unnecessary tasks. Additionally, do not allow distractions like phones or television to consume time that can go towards finishing essential tasks. Once you have effectively managed your time, you will be able to work additional relaxation into your routine.

55% of student surveyed report that they don’t receive the recommended amount of sleep each night. While it may be difficult, stress is best reduced when your body is on a schedule. One of the most important things students can do is to maintain a proper sleep schedule. Try to fall asleep and wake up around the same time every night. Exercise is a tool that only 47.5% of surveyors utilized to the recommended amount. Exercising can reduce stress by releasing endorphins and it allows for an uninterrupted night of sleep. However, exercise should be regular and avoided for a few hours before you sleep. Diet also plays a significant role in your stress levels. Caffeine can worsen stress levels and it should be avoided. Deep breaths, counting, and meditation are all small tools to reduce tension. In terms of your daily routine, you must find what works for you. If none of these tips work for you, resources can be found online or even down the street.

If you are particularly stressed, local businesses provide goods and services geared towards reducing stress. Salt Sensations has sessions you can book, and they offer special prices to first time customers. Massage Café has sessions as well, but they also have products you can buy, such as oils and lotions. If you are looking for a place to comfortably exercise, Studio Oxygen offers both yoga and cycling classes. Pure Barre allows new customers to try their classes free for one week. Not all of these options are for everyday use, but they are meant for extremely stressful times. Reducing stress does not require spending money, but the opportunities are there, should you so choose to take them.

While stress may be unavoidable in high school, there are multiple ways to address and reduce it. Managing your time, adapting your daily routine, and knowing the opportunities available to you allows you to take control of any stress you may be facing. So put down the controller, and pick up your life.