A hero’s journey to prom

Back to Article
Back to Article

A hero’s journey to prom

On September 29, Junior Class President Gregory Halley was rehearsing his prom fundraiser speech just hours before the eyes of the entire junior class would be cast upon him. He knew the fate of the 2018 prom was in his hands. At the conclusion of his speech, everyone in the auditorium roared in applause as they jumped to their feet. His inspirational words left everyone with a sense of motivation to establish a foundation for an exceptional prom. Halley was certain it would be a night to remember.

Or so he thought.

Halley and his team of Junior Class Officers had formulated a complex plan to raise enough money to organize the best prom possible. They decided to sell Handel’s cards, but it did not go as planned.

“The Handel’s cards sounded a lot better in theory than in practice,” Greg said.

He and his fellow officers took the initiative to sell more cards than the rest of the student body: roughly twenty to thirty cards. Unfortunately, the officers’ sales did not make up for the lack of student participation in the fundraiser.

Mrs. Kathryn Antal, Junior Class Officer Supervisor, said, “There is always the issue that everyone is not willing to contribute, which causes the difference to be generated by other students.”

When asked about his lack of involvement in the fundraiser, junior Conor Crogan said, “I didn’t care.”

Furthermore, the majority of the junior class had the same mindset as Crogan; they all believed that the rest of the students in the class would compensate for their insufficient sales. This phenomenon is known as the Bystander Effect, in which individuals are less likely to engage in an action when others are present or involved. These people place the responsibility on the others around them, yet the others are thinking the same way. This ultimately results in the failure to complete an action. The Bystander Effect relates to this situation in that those involved in the fundraiser do not believe that raising money is an urgent situation because there are so many people capable of selling; therefore, they do not act as such.

Students’ lack of involvement undoubtedly played a large role in the low funds, but Halley managed to discover a few additional flaws of the Handel’s cards process.

“We did not have the cards on us, they were a little expensive, and it would have been better if we sold them directly to purchasers. We probably would have sold more that way because our customers had to give us money upfront and receive their cards later,” he said.

If every student had sold 7 Handel’s cards, then the officers would have had no issue with having to do another fundraiser to offset those costs. However, due to the underperformance of the Handel’s cards, the Junior Class Officers resorted to a second fundraiser: Chipotle.

The restaurant chain’s Canfield location agreed to donate 50% of their earnings from 5-9 p.m. on January 22nd to the junior class. While they were not planning to do an additional fundraiser, the earnings from Chipotle gave the officers a large boost to their prom fund. Without the Chipotle fundraiser, prom tickets most likely would have been near 40 dollars and would have put many limits on decorations because the majority of the money made from the fundraisers covers decorations, security, chaperones, DJ, crowns, and flowers.

Although the junior class officers currently have enough money to fund prom with an affordable ticket price, they are looking at other ways to further their savings through other fundraising events. There is talk of a potential dodgeball or volleyball game in the near future. Regardless of the plans in mind, prom is destined to be extraordinary.  

About the Writers
Jessica Lee, Junior Contributor

Stanford is known as the Harvard of the west, and getting accepted is a strenuous process. Some Canfield students might think that Stanford is in Jessica...

Gabby Sammarone, Senior Contributor

As a student, stress is the ultimate enemy of productivity. Gabby Sammarone, a senior of Canfield High School, will tell us how she manages her life. Having...