Gabby goes thrift shopping and you should, too!

Gabby Sammarone is notorious for her bold fashion statements. Yet we all wonder, where does she get them from? Contrary to what you may believe, most of her wardrobe is second hand items.

Sammarone exclaimed, “A good half of of my clothing is either from flea markets, hand me downs from my grandma or mom, or thrift stores.”

Gabby is evidence that even when wearing second- hand items, people can still be extremely fashionable.

Salvation Army, Goodwill, flea markets, and garage sales are just a few of the places where shoppers seeking fashionable items go. The connotation of thrift stores has changed drastically over the past few years. What used to be seen as dirty and cheap is now viewed as fun and fashionable. Thrift stores offer a new style of clothing to millennials, vintage clothing with a cheaper price tag.

Many of the most fashionable people dress themselves with second-hand pieces. CHS junior, Gabby Sammarone, arguably one of the most fashionable people in our school, jumped onto the idea of thrift shopping during her first years of high school. Second-hand shopping allows teens to compile a growing wardrobe for less, and makes them more confident in dressing the way they want to.

The most distinct benefit to thrifting is the radical price. Sometimes shoppers spend less than twenty dollars a visit. For example, on a recent thifting adventure, Gabby purchased a coat and two sweaters while I purchased two sweaters, which when combined was still less than twenty dollars. Some of the items we bought were expensive brands, such as Karen Scott sweaters which typically run around fifty dollars. We picked one up for only four dollars.

Additionally, you can find just about anything at a thrift store.  Sammarone commented, “Obviously the price is great, but you can walk right in with an idea of what you want and find it, or just walk around until you find cute clothes.” When you are in need of a certain article of clothing, but do not want to spend the full price, thrift shops always have something that could work. A cheap alternative to buying costumes online is thrift shopping for them. Gabby needed a brownish sweater for a halloween costume, and within five minutes of looking through the sweater racks, we found one. Going thrift shopping with the intent of finding a specific piece or going just to go all works very well.

Some people are ashamed to be wearing thrift clothes, but not Gabby. She struts down the hallways with a smile on her face slaying her thrifted outfit. I asked her if buying second hand clothes made her any less confident and she added, “I think it makes me stand out, but I am comfortable with it. I’m proud!” Her different outfits are not the cookie cutter style, but she makes them work for her. People comment on her outfits all the time and are astonished when they find out they are hand me downs.

“Thrift shopping kind of takes you back to another time,” Sammarone said. 

It is a cheap form of time travel, going back years or maybe even centuries to relate to the styles of previous times. With thrift shopping, you can buy things cheap, and travel to a different time period, and have a unique and fashionable style, just like Gabby Sammarone.

About the Writer
Jillian Mt. Castle, Sophmore Contributor

With the 2017 – 2018 school year commencing, students take the time to reflect on what defines themselves academically and socially. For some, the major focuses are sports or social standards driven. For Jillian Mt. Castle, the focus is geared towards individuality and expressing her true self.

“Throughout the course of this year I just want to remain being my true self and not letting others influence me or my actions, and what I want to do,” said MtCastle.

Before attending Canfield Schools, Mt. Castle grew up in Kent and because of the lack of acceptance she received from her friends, felt it necessary to hide how she wanted to express herself.

Changing schools and establishing friendships with accepting people allowed her to feel comfortable conveying her true personality without being afraid of receiving backlash. Because of this acceptance and support, she began to not care what others think and now prides herself on her honest and blunt character.

“My friends and family say that I’m always honest with them, so they trust coming to me for advice and like hanging out with me because I’m genuine. They know I’ll never sugarcoat anything, because it doesn’t benefit anyone, it only hurts people in the end,” said Mt. Castle.

Mt. Castle demonstrates her true self by being social and active both in the classroom and in sports, specifically basketball and track. As well as expressing her carefree character through her fashion choices and demeanor, choosing not to focus on others judgement.

“I plan on not caring what people think about my clothing. Even some of my closest friends are quick to judge my clothings choices, but I’m not going to let that affect how I present myself,” Mt. Castle commented.

Mt. Castle looks forward to partaking in her passions and encouraging self expression for every student and individual, continuing to be a role model herself.