Gabby goes thrift shopping and you should, too!

Gabby Sammarone is notorious for her bold fashion statements. Yet we all wonder, where does she get them from? Contrary to what you may believe, most of her wardrobe is second hand items.

Sammarone exclaimed, “A good half of of my clothing is either from flea markets, hand me downs from my grandma or mom, or thrift stores.”

Gabby is evidence that even when wearing second- hand items, people can still be extremely fashionable.

Salvation Army, Goodwill, flea markets, and garage sales are just a few of the places where shoppers seeking fashionable items go. The connotation of thrift stores has changed drastically over the past few years. What used to be seen as dirty and cheap is now viewed as fun and fashionable. Thrift stores offer a new style of clothing to millennials, vintage clothing with a cheaper price tag.

Many of the most fashionable people dress themselves with second-hand pieces. CHS junior, Gabby Sammarone, arguably one of the most fashionable people in our school, jumped onto the idea of thrift shopping during her first years of high school. Second-hand shopping allows teens to compile a growing wardrobe for less, and makes them more confident in dressing the way they want to.

The most distinct benefit to thrifting is the radical price. Sometimes shoppers spend less than twenty dollars a visit. For example, on a recent thifting adventure, Gabby purchased a coat and two sweaters while I purchased two sweaters, which when combined was still less than twenty dollars. Some of the items we bought were expensive brands, such as Karen Scott sweaters which typically run around fifty dollars. We picked one up for only four dollars.

Additionally, you can find just about anything at a thrift store.  Sammarone commented, “Obviously the price is great, but you can walk right in with an idea of what you want and find it, or just walk around until you find cute clothes.” When you are in need of a certain article of clothing, but do not want to spend the full price, thrift shops always have something that could work. A cheap alternative to buying costumes online is thrift shopping for them. Gabby needed a brownish sweater for a halloween costume, and within five minutes of looking through the sweater racks, we found one. Going thrift shopping with the intent of finding a specific piece or going just to go all works very well.

Some people are ashamed to be wearing thrift clothes, but not Gabby. She struts down the hallways with a smile on her face slaying her thrifted outfit. I asked her if buying second hand clothes made her any less confident and she added, “I think it makes me stand out, but I am comfortable with it. I’m proud!” Her different outfits are not the cookie cutter style, but she makes them work for her. People comment on her outfits all the time and are astonished when they find out they are hand me downs.

“Thrift shopping kind of takes you back to another time,” Sammarone said. 

It is a cheap form of time travel, going back years or maybe even centuries to relate to the styles of previous times. With thrift shopping, you can buy things cheap, and travel to a different time period, and have a unique and fashionable style, just like Gabby Sammarone.