The most interesting man in the world: Ben Durrant

We decided to sit down with CHS Senior, Ben Durrant in hopes to dig deeper into the life of one of the school’s most interesting students. We asked Durrant a series of questions that ranged from what it was like growing up in Wisconsin, to what types of cheeses he could name off the top of his head.

To start the interview, we asked Durrant to tell us a little more about himself, his response was marvelous: “Well my name is Ben Durrant, I was born October 29, 1998, and I am from  Janesville, Wisconsin, my family and I moved to Michigan in 2008, right in the heart of the recession. My dad works at General Motors, so we got transferred to Michigan for a year and a half before we came to Youngstown, Ohio.”

Since Durrant has lived in Ohio 2010, we asked him what he enjoyed doing most in his free time, he responded by saying, “I enjoy playing games, and with lego sets, actually my favorite lego set is the Eiffel Tower, it’s 3 feet tall and worth 400 dollars because it’s still in the box and in very good condition, since the Lego sets are so expensive nowadays, my parents only get me one set every year.”

Outside of playing games and with Lego sets, we asked Ben if he had a job to also keep him busy, Ben revealed, “Yes, I have a job at Michael’s Arts and Crafts, where you make creativity happen.”

Ben also said that the best part about working at Michael’s was being able to watch how people are creative, which gives more ideas about being creative over time.

As we moved through this interview, we asked him a question that only a kid from Wisconsin would be able to answer with absolute certainty. We asked Durrant what kind of cheese he enjoyed the most, he immediately responded by saying, “Mozzarella, definitely Mozzarella, it’s always been my favorite, it’s the best cheese because you can put it on pretty much everything, pizza, on your tacos (in a Wisconsin accent), you can even eat it plain.”

Mr. Jennings, teacher at Canfield High School had a quick follow up question to ask Durrant, “What’s your second favorite cheese,” asked Jennings.

Ben took a second to think about the question before he responded by saying “American cheese.”

After a moment of silence, Jennings said, “Well, obviously that’s the worst kind of cheese, Ben.”

We had a quick follow up question: “How many cheeses can you name off the top of your head?”

Durrant, surprisingly, only was able to answer a few cheeses, he hesitantly responded by saying, “I can’t name all twenty, but Garlic and Herb, Cheddar, American, Gouda, I don’t know any other ones, I don’t study cheese names, sorry.”

From his love of cheese to his love of football, we asked Durrant who he thought had the best chance to win the Super Bowl this year.

Durrant thinks the Cowboys are the team with the best chance. When we asked why he thought they would win he said, “It’s their time, they had a terrific season all year round.”

Even though Ben said he thinks the Cowboys are going to win it all this year, his favorite NFL team is the Green Bay Packers, which is led by the player he thinks is the best in the NFL right now, Aaron Rodgers.

To end the interview we asked Ben why he wears his Cheese head for Halloween every year, he responded by saying, “Well, I have nothing better to wear for Halloween costume, I don’t want to spend a lot of money on one, that I’m only going to wear one day year, and besides, I’ve always been a cheese head.”

After an in-depth interview with “the man,” it only solidified the thought that Benjamin Durrant is a one of a kind gem that only comes along once every few generations.