Carlie Freeman is Cageless Capture Photography

Back to Article
Back to Article

As senior year is fastly progressing, students are scrambling to find the perfect photographer to take their senior portraits. Although there are many talented photographers in the Mahoning Valley, what can distinguish photographers from the rest is their passion and reason for pursuing photography.

Carlie Freeman, owner of Cageless Capture Photography had a passion for taking pictures since childhood.

Freeman said, “ I’ve always been interested in photography for as long as I can remember but it wasn’t until pretty recently that I decided to take it seriously. When I was really young, my mom would buy the disposable cameras for various vacations, events or simply days she wanted to remember. I always begged her to let me take a few pictures with it. I was incredibly fascinated with the way the camera had to charge up to take the picture and the anticipation you felt in wondering if you took the picture the way that your eye saw it.”

However, Carlie eventually progressed from taking pictures around the house as a child, to aspiring to become a professional photographer when she was in middle school. She shared that, “The first time I ever thought about photography as a career was in 7th grade when I had to pick a field to shadow and do research on for Career Day. My older cousin, Courtney, was, and still is, a photographer in Columbus, and photography sounded more interesting and fun than any of the other careers, so I decided to shadow her for the day. After shadowing her, I began to build a passion for an eventual career in photography, but I just didn’t think it could happen for me for a variety of reasons.”

Carlie explained that she never felt as if she’d truly be “good enough,” and another sobering reality of becoming a photographer is that it is extremely difficult to make a decent income.

Fortunately, Carlie’s dreams took a turn for the best, when she was hired by Joe Sarigianopolous, and is now an associate photographer for F.J. photography. She says, Joe has taught me the importance of understanding that photos are created, not taken. There truly is so much strategy, technique and art that goes into taking pictures.  He also has given and continues to give me incredible opportunities to gain experience in multiple areas of photography that are helping me build my portfolio and become a better photographer. One of those areas has been social media marketing which has led to me pursuing a degree in Advertising and Public Relations.”

Today, Carlie primarily takes lifestyle, family, senior, engagement, and children pictures.

She said, “…for the time being, I am focused on gaining experience in every avenue of photography so that I can eventually narrow it down and find where my niche is as a photographer. In a society where everyone thinks they are a photographer if they own a DSLR camera, it’s important to know how to distinguish yourself and find your niche to excel in.”