No mo FOMO!

Back to Article
Back to Article

No mo FOMO!

Sydney Karlock and Marissa Yourstowsky

Have you ever found yourself in a situation with your friends or even your family, where you feel like you’re never apart of something fun or special? Have you ever heard about a party last minute and then remember that you have to be at work? Or that you have a doctor’s appointment and all of your friends are going out to the movies. . . The idea that something spectacular might happen at that party or event that you’re not going absolutely kills you.

This fear of not being apart of something or feeling left out actually has a name. The name of this disorder is called FOMO. FOMO is an acronym that means, fear of missing out. The actual definition of FOMO is, “anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.”  

To me [Marissa] social media is THE biggest factor that comes into play when you’re talking about FOMO. I would definitely say that as I have gone through high school, social media posts posted by my friends at events that I didn’t attend really made me feel left out.

People like Marissa always want to be involved. They feel as if they’re not included in something, that they’re going to feel left out the next time she hangs out with a group of people and she won’t know anything about their conversations. FOMO can be labeled as a personal issue. But for some people, it is an issue that cannot be solved.

According to a study by Eventbrite, 69% of millennials experience FOMO. I, Sydney Karlock am apart of the 31% who does not. I don’t get jealous when I see my friends hanging out without me; I don’t see a reason to. Within the last year, I’ve been going on social media a lot less than I did in previous years. Not seeing what everyone is doing obviously won’t make me feel left out. Also, I hang out with my boyfriend a lot more than my group of friends. I don’t feel like I’m missing out when all my friends are hanging out and I’m with him.

If someone really tried hard enough, they could get past their FOMO, and not feel as left out the next time people hang out without them. According to Aarti Gupta, PsyD, from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, she suggests, “a few practices that can help you come face-to-face with your FOMO — and ultimately, beat it.” The first step that she suggests to her readers is “Admit you have a problem.” The second step in her practices is, “Switch off the chatter.” What she means by this, is to turn off your social media accounts and focus on yourself. You need to distance yourself from the outside world that is possibly going to give you harm. The last step she suggests is “practice mindfulness.” Mindfulness is a therapeutic technique that focuses on the present. Practicing mindfulness can help people with FOMO enjoy what they are doing in the here and now.

About the Writer
Sydney Karlock, Senior Contributor

When Sydney Karlock was a freshman, she made an extensive decision. After six years of dance she decided to hang up her tap shoes and walk away. For three...