How to cope with stress

Kalin Kovach

From applying for college, working a job, or going to school–to taking rigorous classes, helping your family at home, playing a sport, or being part of an after school club–stress is an almost certain component to each endeavor.

Stress is very common, I had asked some college and high school students what stresses them out and how do they cope with it?

Brooke Crissman student at CHS “Usually school stresses me out. I cope with it by staying on top of my studies.”

Alexis Bernat student at CHS “School, friend drama, family drama, and trying to do everything “right” stresses me out. I cope with it by working out, running, talking to my family and close friends, and playing with my dogs.”

Alyssa Householder student at CHS “Balancing volleyball and school. I usually plan out in the morning what I’m going to do during the day so I feel organized.”

Reilly Todd student at CHS “ I think school stresses me out the most and I usually take breaks if I’m getting overwhelmed or shower to relieve stress.”

Cami Madar student at HHS and HC “For me personally, I become stressed in situations where I feel like I can’t help and I’m too overwhelmed by the situations people come to me with. To cope I really focus on school work and sports because I feel like I can control the outcome of my performance.”

Matt Bodrock student at TU “School stresses me out and I cope by usually playing video games or watching tv. Something that has virtually no stress attached.”

Elena Slemons student at OSU “School stresses me out, especially exams when I study so hard but nothing that I learned or studied is on there. I cope by listening to music, watching tv, or working out.”

A lot of the students mentioned that school, drama, or friends stress them out. They all had different ways of coping. Whether it was by working out, going to bed, or just staying calm and quiet. After all these answers, I wanted to dig a little deeper. I had the opportunity to interview a college psychology major and a school psychologist. They provided meaningful insight to some of the stressful scenarios of life.

What is stress?

According to Julie Halmo, a psychology major at Westminster College, “Stress is a way your body responds to any demand or threat, think fight or flight response.”  Halmo also mentioned that three things activate that you’re stressed, hormones, cortisol, and adrenaline.

From Halmo’s response, it can be stated that symptoms can be divided into four categories: cognitive, emotional, physical, and behavioral. “Cognitive symptoms include mental fog, anxious thoughts, and worrying. Emotional symptoms include moodiness, loneliness, and general unhappiness. Physical symptoms include digestive issues and frequent illness. Behavioral symptoms include under or over eating, disrupted sleep patterns, and neglecting responsibilities.” School psychologist, Kara Kovach, agrees that it’s important to understand, “It is inevitable that stress is can affect anyone in a negative way. It is important to understand the problem, and be mindful of the situation. Mindfulness is something that I practice on a daily basis. Mindfulness incorporates one’s awareness on the present moment, while acknowledging your feelings, thoughts, and emotions without judgement.”

In conclusion, stress is very individualistic. These are some ways some students cope with it and some background information about it. It’s very important to be mindful and attempt to understand it moving through life.

About the Writer
Kalin Kovach, Senior Contributor

From a very young age, Softball has been Senior Kalin Kovach’s passion. Similar to many of us, Kalin’s parents signed her up for multiple sports as...