Flaming Ice Cube Review

Cece Economus, Senior Contributor

Healthier food restaurants have been popping up all around the country in the recent years. Trends like this tend to take a while to make their way to Youngstown, Ohio.

But now, they’ve made it. Vegan and vegetarian restaurants are opening up all along 224. One of them has been established quite longer than other newer places, Flaming Ice Cube.

Flaming Ice Cube first opened in 1997 as an aromatherapy shop, then moved and opened the cafe in Creekside Plaza in Boardman in 2002. They then expanded to Public Square in Cleveland in 2010.

Their food is prepared and mostly made from scratch right on the spot, instead of reheating their food like most restaurants and fast food food places do.

They claim that it may take a bit longer, but that it’s definitely worth the wait.

Flaming Ice Cube identifies as a vegan cafe, serving vegan food, such as burgers, sandwiches, quinoa bowls, homemade soups, salads, smoothies, juices, teas, and baked goods.

You’re able to take some items home with you for a treat later, they offer a catering service, boxed lunches, and you’re also able to call ahead so your meal is ready to pick up when you arrive.

Now, I am not into the whole vegan and vegetarian trends. But, I decided to give it a try.

I walked into Flaming Ice Cube with Senior Contributor, Lilly Economus and was handed a menu, which was very intimidating.

I’m not one for the new food trends. My nickname is “Plain Jane” when it comes to food.

Lilly was nice enough to help guide me through the menu. We chose the Spicy Chick’n Quesadilla ($9.95) and the Luncheon Harvest Quinoa Bowl and Cookie Combo ($7.95).

Honestly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it’d be. I almost finished my whole meal and tried Lilly’s meal as well.

The “chicken” texture was definitely different than normal chicken. It had a softer texture and when I first bit in, I could tell it wasn’t chicken. The vegan cheese also had a unique texture and taste, one that’s indescribable. Honestly, if I were to eat the vegan cheese and chicken separate, I don’t think I would enjoy it. But how it was prepared made me enjoy it.

I’m a very picky eater, so me actually going and trying something new is a big deal, especially when that new thing is a whole different type of food.

My whole outlook on vegan food has changed and I’m now looking forward to going to new, healthier restaurants that are popping up around town.

About the Writer
Cece Economus, Senior Contributor

Cece Economus

Senior Cece Economus has always had school spirit, but this year, that was set in stone when she was elected Spirit Coordinator.

The...