How does Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 stack up to Fortnite and other games?

Does Treyarch's latest title stack up to the likes of Fortnite and other popular games out right now?

In recent times, Call of Duty games have, in the minds of the consumers, gone down the wrong path. Call of Duty is a modern first person shooter game that is world renowned and played by people in every nation. Game developer Treyarch, creators of the legendary Black Ops series, now have the ball in their court for this years Call of Duty title. There is a three year cycle for developers to create another name in the game line, with other developers being Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer. Treyarch has historically impressed with their titles, creating fan favorite gameplay and revolutionizing Call of Duty by the addition of a Zombie mode.

For this year’s Call of Duty title, Treyarch released Black Ops 4 on October 12th. Questions quickly arises if this title would be able to compete with the game everyone has been buzzing about all 2018, Fortnite Battle Royale. Fortnite is entirely different from Call of Duty except for the fact that they are both shooters. Fortnite is a 100 player Hunger Games-style battle game where you try to be the last man alive. It is available almost on any device at this stage, and has people of all ages competing to win. The question of the summer was when is Fortnite going to go out of style? That question was answered when Treyarch Studios announced their own rendition of the battle royale genre, Blackout. It features the same approximate concept as Fortnite, but with Call of Duty gameplay style.

The question was now, can Call of Duty create a good battle royale and keep their multiplayer up to par? After about a week of gameplay, it’s pretty clear that this is a polished and enjoyable Call of Duty title, but how does it stack up to other Call of Duty games and Fortnite?

Call of Duty is very hard to compare to other games, such as Fortnite, as its gameplay mechanics are vastly different. All in all, it seems as if this year’s Call of Duty title is already more versatile than Fortnite, featuring more ways to play to keep the game interesting. Fortnite also may be struggling, as the game has gotten to the point of being repetitive to long time players. Call of Duty seems to have taken advantage of this fatigue and take the majority of players over their opening weekend.

Black Ops 4 features a lot more replayability than other titles, as they feature 3 fresh modes that feel like past games, but also feel different enough to the point where you can tell it’s a different game this year. The mechanics are good as ever, as you can tell the developers took their time to develop the smoothest possible movement system for your character. The game feels fresh, and students at our school have been enjoying it. One student points out that he prefers Black Ops 4 over Fortnite and other Call of Duty games because, “It is more strategic and tactical than any other games out right now. You have to take the time to learn the game to be good.” Another student added that “the realistic touch is a nice getaway from the cartoony and childish graphics and gameplay of Fortnite.”

All in all, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 seems to be another success from the series and developer Treyarch. If you enjoyed previous Call of Duty games or any other shooting games, then this game will certainly live up to your expectations. As for me, it has exceeded my expectations already and it feels like I put my money in the right place. It’s a great game for casual gamers, and it’s even better for hardcore gamers. Video Games are on the rise once again, and Call of Duty and Treyarch make sure that your money is not wasted.

About the Writer
Jake Donadee, Senior Contributor

For some people, coaching is just a paying job, but for Jake Donadee it is a passion for football and teaching life lessons to the kids.

Donadee is a new coach to the program but has been a player himself for quite awhile, “I started Junior year, I coach 7th grade with my Dad who has been the coach since I was in 7th grade.”

When asking about why he quit Donadee answered, “I have played for 10 years, after my concussion I decided for my well being to stop playing the sport.”

Having played with Donadee in the past I had to ask him how these kids are different than when we were that age “they are more funny,” Donadee said.

This job position is not voluntary “I am a Canfield Athletic Department employee,” Donadee said. 

His plans for the future are going to college, so after this year he is going to hold back on the coaching career. When asked if he had plans to coach later in life his response, “If I coach anywhere, it’s going to be for Alabama.”

Catch Donadee coaching on Thursday nights at 5:30.