Follow your heart all the way to college

Trying to find the right college for yourself can be challenging and pressuring. You’re getting ready to graduate high school, you’re freaking out over the thought of living independently. Your parents are trying to tell you what’s best for you. You’re thinking “What am I supposed to do?” You think everyone else has their life planned out except you. Let me tell you, you’re not the only one stressing over what you want to do in your life.

I am currently a senior at Canfield High School in the same position you’re in. I’m currently looking at colleges and trying to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life, and so are a hundred thousand other seniors in the world. So first off, take a deep breath and relax. Here are 9 tips you should think of before you go off to college:  

1. First off, the thing you definitely do not want to do is think too far ahead. You want to think about what’s happening now, not what’s going to happen in 3 or 4 years from now.
    2. Follow your heart and make yourself happy. Do not let people pressure you into picking a college you don’t want to go. Picking a college is hard, but when it comes to picking where you want to go, follow your heart and listen to your gut. The one thing I’ve learned is when people try telling me what is going to make me most happy, it makes me feel less happy, and you don’t want that. The number one thing you need to focus on is a place where you will be happy.
    3. Make sure to pick a school that has the major you want to go in to. If you’re a person who already knows what career you want to pursue, make sure to look at schools that have that major. If a school does not have the major you want, chances are you won’t enjoy yourself there. 
    4. It’s okay to go in undecided. There are plenty of students who start school and they’re still undecided. If you are lost and have no clue what you want to do in your life, don’t stress about it. Remember, you are only 17 or 18 years old. You don’t have to know what you want to do with the rest of your life. 
    5. Have your own opinion, and your own opinion only. If you’re deciding to go on a college visit and a peer has an opinion like, “Oh, I looked at that school and I didn’t like it,” don’t listen to them. They might have not liked that school, but that does not mean you won’t. The only person’s opinion that matters is yours. Literally. Even your family members opinion should not affect yours. Of course your parents can help you pick a school and narrow some down for you, but your opinion is what matters the most. 6. 
    6. Size. If you think you would be overwhelmed at a bigger school, then maybe you should consider at looking at smaller schools with a smaller amount of students. You want to pick the size of a school that fits you best.  
    7. Financial Aid. Financial aid is available at all schools, so you should highly consider looking into that, but some schools make sure it’s more available than others. A private school will tend to have a higher price in tuition, but they usually offer higher financial aid.
    8. Talk to other students or alumni that attend or have attended that school. Sometimes hearing other’s opinion is a good thing. It’s a good way to get information about the school from people around your age. The students can tell you about campus life and academics. 
    9. Make sure to visit. Before you go to a school you might want to attend, make sure you schedule a college visit. You always want to get a feel for a school by going there and actually walking around campus. If you are not familiar with college visits, you can look up the school website and they usually have a button that says “Visit” that you will click on. They’ll ask you certain information, and you’ll have to schedule a date and time. A student will take you around campus who will be your tour guide, and you will most likely be with a big group of students.