Losing someone you love

What is it like to lose someone you love? If it has never happened to you, I will try to explain it the best I can, but it is a lot harder that you might think.

On Thursday, October 26 at around 8:00 a.m., my grandfather passed. He went to the hospital on Monday because he had a stomach ache. He was going through radiation because he had prostate cancer. He went to the hospital for his stomach ache because his doctors didn’t want to risk anything.

On Wednesday, his doctors took him out it the ICU because they said he was doing well. He had just signed his DNR (do not revive) papers. Then on Thursday, his heart stopped. I didn’t know he died until I got home that day.

My dad was home when I got home, and I knew something was wrong because he is never home that early. He told me my grandfather died and we went to my grandmother’s house. We went over there every day for the entire weekend.

To lose someone you love is like losing a part of yourself, especially if you and the person you lost were close. It feels like a part of you was ripped out of your body. When I lost my grandfather, I lost a part of my life. It has been the toughest week of my life. The funeral was on Friday, November 3.

I hope something like that doesn’t happen to anyone anytime soon. If you do lose someone you love, I send my condolences.