How Markelle Fultz can turn the Magic into a dynasty

Back to Article
Back to Article

When you hear the name of former number one overall draft pick Markelle Fultz many things may come to mind. Some may say “he’s a bust, he’s trash, he can never succeed in the modern NBA.” But we believe that while he may not be a future hall-of-famer, the Orlando Magic made the right move by trading Jonathan Simmons, a 2020 first round pick, and a 2019 second round pick to the Philadelphia 76ers.

The situation is a such: low risk, high reward. Fultz currently has three potential years left on his four year rookie contract and is currently in his second season. His third year has a team option placed on it, meaning that if the team is not impressed with his play they are allowed to release him into free agency thus taking him off their hands. If they are impressed with his play they can pick up his option and have him on their roster for the next two seasons on a cheap rookie contract, while still having enough money to go after big name free agents and to resign current players on the roster.

At the age of twenty, Fultz is currently averaging 8 points 3 rebounds and 3 assists per game in twenty three minutes per game.These numbers might not seem like the numbers a number one overall pick would produce but they are numbers of a still developing NBA new comer. Projecting his statistics to thirty six minutes per game his numbers jump to 14 points 7 rebounds and 6 assists while also adding 2 steals. This goes to show that given the opportunity he can be an all around point guard that can help any team win.

With a change of scenery, this could possibly the best version of Markelle Fultz that we have ever seen up to this point in his very short NBA career. Fultz gets a fresh start in Orlando without having the same mental constraints as he did in Philadelphia. He now has a new young supporting cast consisting of Aaron Gordon and Mohamed Bamba in which he can grow with and start a potential future dynasty. The positives clearly outweigh the negatives in this situation and Markelle Fultz coming to Orlando may be one of the best moves the franchise had made in a very long time.