Senior doubles partners head to state tournament

Doubles partners Cece Economus and Sydney Cianciola are striving for gold.

Their journey to State began at the Sectional Tournament on October 2nd.

Waking up before 6 a.m. and riding the bus all the way to Canton, Ohio to compete for a chance to make it all the way.

The duo waited until 1 p.m. to play their first match, then had to move to an inside facility because of the weather conditions. The duo stuck it out until 7:00 p.m. when they were told to go home because they wouldn’t be able to play again before 11 p.m.

Cianciola and Economus journeyed back to Canton on October 4 to compete once again and won, and then went back on October 6 and became Sectional Champions.

Their overall sectional match record: 6-0 6-0; 6-0 6-0; 6-4 6-1; 6-4 6-3.

Next was Districts for the duo. They needed to perform here to make it to the big time, The State Tournament.

Cianciola and Economus competed in the Northeast District Tournament. The top four teams from Sectionals qualified to compete at Districts. This is where the best of the best come to compete to qualify for State.

They needed to perform to make it, and perform they did. Cianciola and Economus qualified for the State Tournament and only dropped one match on their road to State.

Their overall Districts record: 6-1 6-1; 6-4 3-6 5-7; 6-3 6-3; 6-3 6-1

“The feeling was incredible,” said Economus. “All of our hard work had finally paid off.”

Their success did not come easy. Cianciola and Economus have been playing tennis together from preschool to present day.

Their on the court chemistry stems from their 14 year friendship.

“Being best friends for so long has definitely given us an advantage. We just jive well together,” Economus said.

Practice is the key to success for this duo. The pair has been practicing daily since June, with little to no breaks.

“I don’t think I have taken off more than three days in a row in my life,” said Cianciola.

Hard work, dedication, and time are the ingredients that go into the recipe of a great doubles team according to the duo.

They have a range of coaches they have played with over the years. One of which is Cianciola’s mom, Susan Cianciola.

Cianciola said, “Sometimes it’s hard to practice with your mom because… it’s your mom. But, she has helped me and Cece become the players we are now, so we owe a lot to her.”

Their journey to State started over 14 years ago, and is coming to an end this weekend, October 19-20.

About the Writer
Cece Economus, Senior Contributor

Cece Economus

Senior Cece Economus has always had school spirit, but this year, that was set in stone when she was elected Spirit Coordinator.

The Spirit Coordinator at Canfield is one of the 13 members of the Senior Class officers with the President, Vice President, Secretary, etc. All of these positions have to be recommended by 2 teachers, get 15 student signatures, and fill out a nomination packet to even be allowed to run in the election.

Before the election last May she was, “really hoping I got elected because I thought I had some really great ideas.” She admits that at first she was nervous and didn’t know if she’d win. But once she got all the signatures, recommendations, and turned in the packet, everyone else running against her dropped out of the election.

Obviously, she won the election and is now the Spirit Coordinator. With the new title, Economus now has a new set of responsibilities.

“I helped get the senior car, I’m in charge of the student section so if Mr. Moldovan or any of the other school administrators has a question then they’ll come to me, I got to help out with the themes a little bit, and help come up with the ideas for the banner in front of the student section.”

She also runs the student section Twitter account which announces all the themes for games, tells people when games are for all sports, and retweets all things Canfield.

“Chance and I run the account together and that’s probably the most fun part of the job. I get to pick the pictures to post and what captions to put on. Everything has to look official so I always make Chance text me before he posts anything.”

Along with being the Spirit Coordinator, she’s also one of the flag runners at the football games and one of the leaders of the student section.

“Having school spirit kinda makes school fun for me. If everyone has school spirit, that’s when everything is more fun.”