Accept the 9 to 5 or strive

Since the beginning of my junior year, competing in college for golf has been a big goal of mine. All of my winters were spent at heated outdoor golf ranges and inside domes practicing. Through my senior year, I felt the hard work had been paying off, as my first two 9-hole match scores were 37 and 38. At the end of the season my average was 40. A 40 average gives me a very good chance at making the all AAC conference team and more recognition from colleges.

After all the dust settled and my senior year came to an end, my coach let me know that I could  play for a D3 school for golf, but that’s not what I was striving for. I want to continue my career at a D1 school with more competition to better my game. The plan would be to attend YSU and work on my game through my first two semesters at YSU in pursuit of a full athletic scholarship by my sophomore year. Youngstown State has a club team for those attending the school but not playing for the golf team that I can participate on to keep the competitive nature in my game. But every plan comes with obstacles.

Golf is a very expensive sport. Because I love the game so much, I want to spend every day on the course or on the range. If I were to spend five days out of seven, only on the range, that would cost me $50 a week. Add actually going out and playing on the course to that total twice a week and it goes up to $90. If you are playing for Youngstown State’s golf team, you do not have to pay for any practice rounds or range balls – all the more reason to strive for the goal of playing for the ‘Guins.

Now, you may be asking, “Why wouldn’t you go to a D3 school if you can  play there?” I can tell you why. College isn’t the only dream. I want to play beyond college. Why would I settle for “what I should do” or “where I should be playing” when I can push myself to become even better? From freshman year to senior year, one thing has never changed. When you play against better competition, it pushes you to play better. Whether it be an eighteen hole tournament or a nine hole match, if you are playing against the best, you’ll play your best. That is why I feel attempting to play for the YSU Penguins is the best option for me and my future.