Coach Muck and the boys ready to hit the court

Canfield High School is beginning to come up on their basketball season. Coach Muck is starting to get his team ready and prepared for a big year. The team has lost and gained valuable players and are ready for the season to start.

Ben Shapiro, who is playing varsity for the second year, said, “We lost four seniors who everyone really enjoyed being around; Brandon Mcfall, Jared Clark, Jake Cummings and Lance Batton. They were a very good group of guys but, I’m really excited we have some good energy coming up. We have returning seniors and the juniors from last season who played JV and had a really good year. We’re looking forward to playing with them, and for everyone to come out and support us on our journey throughout the year.”

Throughout last year’s season the team ended with a record of 12-12. They got upset early in the playoffs by Girard. This year’s team is looking to bounce back from that and make a bigger push in the playoffs. They lost a three year letterwinner Jake Cummings, and two-year letterwinners Jared Clark and Brandon Mcfall. Each of them contributed a big role on this team. Jake averaged 11 points per game, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. Mcfall averaged 9 points per game and 4 assists. Clark was a big help in the paint averaging 3 rebounds and shooting over 50% from the field. That group of seniors will be missed.

Even with these big losses, Canfield has a lot of people ready to step up in these spots. Leading this group is Zach Tinkey. He was the leading scorer last year with 12 points per game. Also we have our returning leading rebounder Spencer Woolley who averaged 6 rebounds per game. They will also get a push from seniors: Ben Shapiro, Tyler Dobrindt, Ian Mcgraw, Ethan Kalina, and Anthony Pacifico. This team will get a big help from Juniors Aydin Hanousek, Conor Crogan, and Kyle Gamble who will contribute big minutes.

“With havin Connor, Aydin, and Kyle coming up we will definitely gain a lot from them. They will be a big help for sure” explained Tyler Dobrindt. “Definitely one of our biggest losses we want to get redemption for is the Poland game.We want to keep the trophy here and win it back.”

A big benefit with the boys basketball team is that they are all really close to each other.

Aydin Hanousek stated, “We all get along really well, hanging inside and outside of school. I’m excited to work with the upperclassmen that I am able to call some of my best friends and see how we do throughout this season.”

The Canfield community is excited to come out and support our boys this year. With not doing as well as they hoped for last year, it motivates them to work harder and show them how well they can be. This should be an exciting season for this group of young men.

About the Writer
Tina Maalouf, Senior Contributor

When you ask little girls what they want to be when they grow up, most of them say they want to be famous models. Ones that get to wear cute clothes, beat their face with makeup, and get to walk down the runway.

That dream became a reality for Tina Maalouf in 2017.

When diagnosed with back problems in the seventh grade, Maalouf realized her ability to do physical activity would be severely limited. After talking it over with family, she decided to try out modeling.

“When I hurt my back in seventh grade the doctor told me I was unable to play sports until it healed properly. After months and months of waiting, my family and friends told me I should try out modeling because of how tall and skinny I was, and how I already had a darker complexion,” said Maalouf.

Listening to her family and friends advice was the best thing she could have done for herself.

“ I now model for two agencies, one out of Chicago, and one out of Pittsburgh. We have meetings once/ twice a month and try to have shoots at least once a month,” said Maalouf.

Her favorite part about modeling is the people she gets to meet, and that she gets to shoot with different photographers.

Maalouf said, “A typical shoot day consists of 3-8 hours depending on what the shoot is for and how many different outfits and locations are needed. In the beginning we prep, get hair and makeup done, and go over what the vision we’re looking for in the photos are. For the remainder of the time we shoot over 1,000 pictures.”

With thousands of different pictures being taken, Maalouf has to have a lot of outfits planned.

“A typical shoot consists of a variety of vintage, modern, street style, and New York styled clothing. The style I use the most is typically the New York style look, “ said Maalouf.

Maalouf is grateful that her family and friends pushed her to try something that was totally out of her comfort zone.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way!” she concluded.