Coach Muck and the boys ready to hit the court

Canfield High School is beginning to come up on their basketball season. Coach Muck is starting to get his team ready and prepared for a big year. The team has lost and gained valuable players and are ready for the season to start.

Ben Shapiro, who is playing varsity for the second year, said, “We lost four seniors who everyone really enjoyed being around; Brandon Mcfall, Jared Clark, Jake Cummings and Lance Batton. They were a very good group of guys but, I’m really excited we have some good energy coming up. We have returning seniors and the juniors from last season who played JV and had a really good year. We’re looking forward to playing with them, and for everyone to come out and support us on our journey throughout the year.”

Throughout last year’s season the team ended with a record of 12-12. They got upset early in the playoffs by Girard. This year’s team is looking to bounce back from that and make a bigger push in the playoffs. They lost a three year letterwinner Jake Cummings, and two-year letterwinners Jared Clark and Brandon Mcfall. Each of them contributed a big role on this team. Jake averaged 11 points per game, 4 rebounds, and 2 assists. Mcfall averaged 9 points per game and 4 assists. Clark was a big help in the paint averaging 3 rebounds and shooting over 50% from the field. That group of seniors will be missed.

Even with these big losses, Canfield has a lot of people ready to step up in these spots. Leading this group is Zach Tinkey. He was the leading scorer last year with 12 points per game. Also we have our returning leading rebounder Spencer Woolley who averaged 6 rebounds per game. They will also get a push from seniors: Ben Shapiro, Tyler Dobrindt, Ian Mcgraw, Ethan Kalina, and Anthony Pacifico. This team will get a big help from Juniors Aydin Hanousek, Conor Crogan, and Kyle Gamble who will contribute big minutes.

“With havin Connor, Aydin, and Kyle coming up we will definitely gain a lot from them. They will be a big help for sure” explained Tyler Dobrindt. “Definitely one of our biggest losses we want to get redemption for is the Poland game.We want to keep the trophy here and win it back.”

A big benefit with the boys basketball team is that they are all really close to each other.

Aydin Hanousek stated, “We all get along really well, hanging inside and outside of school. I’m excited to work with the upperclassmen that I am able to call some of my best friends and see how we do throughout this season.”

The Canfield community is excited to come out and support our boys this year. With not doing as well as they hoped for last year, it motivates them to work harder and show them how well they can be. This should be an exciting season for this group of young men.