CHS choir presents Song of America

Kaleigh Ceci, Senior Contributor

America will be honored through song in the Canfield High School auditorium. The Canfield Choirs including Chambers, One Octave Higher, and Concert will join together, and are set to take the stage on Saturday January 25, 2020 with their ever popular Dinner Theater. These kids have been hard at work learning the music and choreography since the beginning of the school year under the choral direction of Kelly Scurich. Mrs. Scurich has chosen this years theme for Dinner Theater to be Songs of America. “It was one of my favorites,” says Scurich “I thought it would be neat to revive it. With the country in such turmoil we need a little bit of a boost.” 

This is Scurich’s 26th year as the Canfield Choral Director alone, so one can only imagine the countless amount of Dinner Theater that have been done in her past. “I wanted to do something to raise money other than selling something here we get to use our talents and everything. It started where I’d take a musical and in the summer I’d rewrite it for the 150 voices I would paraphrase it and taper it down. Our ensemble used to be the leads of the musicals. And we paired everything down. I wrote the narrations, I adapted to for our choirs. Then the year that I had to do 7th grade on up through high school there was no way I could do all of that so I said we weren’t gonna do dinner theater. Then my schedule changed and then I said let’s throw something together. That was the year we did a tasting instead of a whole dinner and we did 100 Years of Broadway and it was laying in my pile of stuff, and frankly, we found that it was so much easier and everyone gets a little spot and there wasn’t just one lead. It was a big hit And it was easier for me because I didn’t have to spend all summer rewriting something.”

Scurich is joined with her main pianist Courtney Larson, or as Larson prefers to be called “piano goddess”. Her journey began with Scurich during her own High School days. “I started playing in High School and I became a student accompanist in the One Oactive High group. That was back in 2000” Larson then went on to say, ” I love Dinner Theater. Dinner Theater is my favorite because it’s a medley and you aren’t just stuck with one song. I think the most powerful is the ‘Proud to be an American” I think it’s the most powerful part of the show.”

After talking to several kids in the ensemble, they all agreed in saying that they love and are excited for their show. Hayden Nottingham, a junior in the Chamber choir says, “I really do like all of the extra songs we get to have and a lot of them are the more advanced songs. They are just more technical and sound better in my opinion. It’s a lot of fun. Leading up to the concert it’s just Mrs. Larson playing the piano, but then on the last day there is the 2 hour run through where we get all the instruments, the drums and the bass and Guitar. Getting to hear it with the songs you’ve been drowning on for for a month really spiced it up and brings its energy back.” 

Annabelle Scianna, a junior in the One Octave Higher choir said, “I love becoming closer with everyone I think it’s cool to experience a plethora of different beats and music…it’s a lot of fun.”

Ashton Gingerich, a junior currently in the Chamber choir said, “I think Song of America is a good blend of songs. It’s a really nice variety of folk, military, and old rock. I’m really excited for it. We’ve put a lot of work into this and I think it’s gonna be a good show. 

We know how to get a lot of work done, but we can also have a lot of fun in the process.

Dinner Theater is THIS Saturday January 25, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. in the High School auditorium. Tickets can be purchased at the door $5 for students, $10 for adults, and $8 for military.