Karl Lagerfeld’s cat Choupette to possibly become the richest pet in the world

Imagine being the cat living with one of the most influential designers of the twentieth century, and when they pass away, they leave you a  large chunk of their estimated $300 million net worth, and $185 million fortune. For Karl Lagerfeld’s cat Choupette, this dream is now a reality.

On February 19, Karl Lagerfeld, of age 85, passed away. He will be known as one of the most iconic designers of all time, as he was best known for his work as the creative director at Chanel, a French luxury brand, and a prolific designer at the famous Fendi. In a statement made by the CEO of Chanel, Alain Wertheimer, said on Tuesday that the late designer was “ahead of his time” and his “creative genius, generosity and exceptional intuition” contributed to the House of Chanel’s “success throughout the world.”

Karl Lagerfeld was not married, had no children, but treated his dear Burmese cat, Choupette, like a princess. According to Le Figaro, cited in a CBS news article, “he wrote her into his will in 2015”, and Lagerfeld later confirmed this statement in an interview with Numéro, that she, along with some others would be inheriting his extreme wealth. He also reminded  Numéro to not worry, because, “there is enough for everyone”.

The question now is, will his beloved Choupette be allowed to inherit the money? While Karl and Choupette are both German, they resided in France, where the Chanel House is headquartered. According to French law, it is illegal to leave inheritance to a pet, but German law states it is legal.

Choupette is used to her very ornate lifestyle. Lagerfeld referred  to her as an “heiress”, having maids tend to her while he worked, and treating her like a human. Not only did she strike Lagerfeld’s attention, she caught the attention of many fans and brands. Coupette has over 235,000 followers on Instagram and over 50,000 followers on Twitter and is even has her own makeup line in France.

The final question; will Karl Lagerfeld’s closest companion, Choupette, bequeath her owner’s lush fortune?  Following with, depending on how much is bequeathed to her, as stated in his will, and abiding by French or German law, could she become the World’s richest pet? The record is currently held by a British cat, named Blackie, whose owner left 7 million pounds for. Will Choupette over rule Blackie, and become the richest pet of all time? 

About the Writers
Chloe Kalina, Junior

Canfield sports are very successful in everything they do, and soccer is no exception. Our girls team has seen their fair share of success recently and...

Cole Rothbauer, Junior Contributor

Canfield High School offers a wide arrange of sports to their students. Cole Rothbauer has explored two of those sports: baseball and basketball. Although...