Scrooge-like Parents’ Attempt to Take Away Christmas Classics

Ashley Jones and Gabby Sammarone

The best thing to do during the holiday season is to brew a steamy cup of hot cocoa, snuggle up next to the fireplace, and turn on the television to watch your favorite Christmas movies.

Except this year, parents across the nation are ruining the pleasure of some classic Christmas movies.

From the iconic and animated Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,  to the humorous tale— A Christmas Story— many parents are overlooking the very relevant meaning of the movies and persuading others to boycott.

Online parents claim that A Christmas Story promotes bullying and these individuals refuse to expose their children to that type of content.

Yet, Zack Ward— the actor who played the bully— sees his character as a means of promoting his anti-bullying campaign.

Ward told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, “I think both the bully and the bully’s victim have an issue and it can be addressed, and we can help them get the support they need, see that they have other options and believe in themselves.”

Similarly, the bullying concept in Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer has stirred up controversy among parents online.

Michael Shaffer, from The New Republic, has generated an overly harsh theme for the beloved Christmas movie:

If you want to be accepted, you have to prove your economic utility— which, in the case of magical flying reindeer, appears to only involve the annual sleigh-pull.”

However, another actor is coming to the defense of a classic Christmas tale.

Corinne Conley, who voiced the “dolly for Sue” in the 1964 film, tells TMZ she can’t believe the extreme criticism after more than 50 years of it being a beloved tradition during the holiday season.

She says the moral of the story is about bullies righting their wrongs:

“I would say [the movie] is more relevant now than ever because there is so much bullying going on. But, I mean, it’s all reconciled in Rudolph … I don’t think by getting sensitive to bullying that you want to copy it. You want to get rid of it!”

Additionally, Whoopi Goldberg agreed that any criticism concerning the beloved movie didn’t make sense, while speaking on The View.

“He’s a kid that nobody believed in and suddenly they realized he is special, he is who he is for a reason. And he becomes the hero. Where’s the problem?”

This holiday season we will continue to enjoy our favorite movies, appreciating them for what they truly are, and ignoring the unnecessary controversies.

About the Writer
Gabby Sammarone, Senior Contributor

As a student, stress is the ultimate enemy of productivity. Gabby Sammarone, a senior of Canfield High School, will tell us how she manages her life. Having...