Little Shop of Horrors opens this week!

Kaleigh Ceci, Senior Contributor

The time has come to kick back, relax, and step back in time to watch the magical story of Little Shop of Horrors come to life on the Canfield High School auditorium stage. This musical, with music by Alan Menken, lyrics and book by Howard Ashman, tells the story of a little place called Skidrow, where the poorest of the poor are forced to roam the streets, searching for work and picking up pennies and dimes where they can.

Our story follows the protagonist Seymour Krelborn, played by Gregory Halley, an orphan who has worked at Mushnik’s Skid Row Florist Shop since he was a little boy, alongside the owner Mr.Mushnick, Alex Sanders, and employee Audrey, Kat Roman.

The three of them work together at the florist…well, what is considered work, owning a business on skid row is hard when you never have a customer. Just as Mushnick is about to throw in the towel on the business Audrey pushes Seymore to show Mushnick a new plant he was working on. You see, Seymore loves to find strange and interesting plants in hopes of attracting some business for the rundown florist shop. He calls it an Audrey II, after his secret love for Audrey, and yes-sir-y,  that plant is a strange one – it almost looks like a large Venus Flytrap. 

Sadly it’s not as healthy as Seymore wanted it to be, but he has been working in the plant business most of his life, surely he can fix this plant back to health. There is however, one small problem, he has no idea what this plant actually is. He bought it from an old Chinese man on the day of an eclipse. He has never seen anything quite like it before and can’t identify it in any of his plant books. 

Seymore has done everything imaginable to help this plant grow, water, sunlight, fresh dirt, the works, but this plant still will not grow. Upon accidentally cutting himself on some rose thorns, the small plant begins to open just a little, Seymore without thinking of any potential consequences decides to give the plant a few drops of his own blood. Nothing bad could come out of that right, as long as little Audrey II doesn’t make a habit out of it. You didn’t think Seymour would get out of this that easily, did you?

Mushnik’s Skid Row Florist Shop begins booming, but at what cost? The Audrey II begins to grow bigger and bigger, but how? Where is Seymour getting all of this blood?

All these questions and more will be answered if you come on down and see Canfield’s production of Little Shop of Horrors, Thursday the 15th and Saturday the 17th at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday the 18th at 2:30 p.m.

The show also stars Troy Tyson, as Orin Scrivello DDS, a rich dentist who loves causing others pain, abusive boyfriend of Audrey’s.

The show is also narrated by the three omniscient street goddesses, or the urchins, Crystal, Ronette, and Chiffon, played by Isabella Audia, Kaleigh Ceci, and Katie Dysert who seem to know everything that is going on and everything that will happen.

The plants are operated by Jillian Mt. Castle and voiced by Justin Tura.

Tickets are available at the door and at $15 for adults and $8 for students.