Basketball season set to begin

With a great football season coming to a close another season is about to start up.

The first Canfield basketball game of the 2018-19 season is set for Thursday, November 29 at Marlington High School.

Coming off a 15-9 season last year, the Cardinals are hoping for an even better record this season. This year’s varsity team will boast five seniors (Kyle Gamble, Conor Crogan, Brenden Bova, Aydin Hanousek, and Luke Pallante), four juniors (Brayden Beck, Jake Kowal, Joey Bruno, Brent Hermann), and maybe even a few sophomores (Trey Dye and Blake Woolley).

Last year’s team had lots of talent, maybe even more than the record says about them. Of their 9 loses 4 of them were by less than 5 points. The cardinals could hold their own against anyone.

No game could exemplify this more than the final game of the season for the Cards last year.

After a long run in the playoffs, the Cards faced off against perennial powerhouse, Canton McKinley, in the district championship. It was a tough battle and went back and forth all game. With less than two minutes left the game was tied, but the Cards came up just short in a very well fought 68-62 loss.

“Last year we were so close. Only a few points away from a district championship. This year I think we can get even farther,” senior forward Kyle Gamble said.

They’ve been lifting and practicing more this year than ever.

Gamble explained, “Coach Carbon has been putting us through great workouts this offseason, so right now I feel like I’m in the best shape of my life.”

After losing 10 seniors last year, some team comradery is needed. None of the basketball players play a fall sport, so each offseason practice they were able to work out as a full team. There’s no question that the off-season bonding will help them on the court this year.

With about a month left until the season begins, the transition from offseason to preseason is right now. If the Cardinals want to live up to their goals this year, they need a great preseason to get ready and then carry that momentum on as far as possible.

Canfield starts their season on November 29 at 7:00 at Marlington High School.