Superintendent Geordan hosts lunches with seniors

Halloween, Spirit week, Primetime Fridays, the administration refusing to listen to their student body are all traditions of Canfield High school…or so you thought. Superintendent Alex  Geordan is making an effort to meet the entire graduating class about what they think will improve the school.

Mr. Geordan decided that meeting with a set of graduating seniors every Wednesday was the most efficient way to gather opinions and foster authentic conversations.

At the lunch that took place on October 10, Geordan said, “I’m not doing this just so that you can go home and tell your mothers and fathers, that ‘hey Mr. Geordan actually sat down with us.’”

Geordan continued,  “I did this in the previous district I worked at, and when I came to Canfield seven years ago, I didn’t know if I would be able to set time aside.”

Geordan said that he is interested in coming up with solutions to make a student’s school life more efficient.  

“Someone mentioned an app, like when you pick your seat at the movie theater, you pick your parking spot. We have a map of the parking lot, and whoever comes first picks their spot,” he said.

This idea was in response to the many complaints of seniors parking further away from the school than some underclassmen.

Another issue Geordan addressed was lockers. Students’ lockers are arranged by grade. Each grade has their own hallway, and from that grouping the lockers are given in alphabetical order. This results in students walking all the way across the school in the morning to grab their books and make it to Prime Time before the bell.

Geordan said, “An easy solution is to have the same locker for all four years, outside of your Prime Time, not based on grades or last names. This would also mean less work for the administration, only having to give new lockers to the incoming freshmen.”

Geordan also has big plans for Canfield’s 2019 graduating class. He chose to implement activities to help the seniors transition into their futures.

“The last couple days of school we are always trying to find something to do, so instead of just fluff, we are sitting you down and having you go through different activities that will help you at the next level,” he said.

He then dove deeper into what the “activities” may consist of.

“Let me give you an example, young men, sometimes we don’t use our heads and we say something or put ourselves in a situation that could be viewed as harassment of some sort. We need to educate you not to get yourselves in the situation, not to do this, this isn’t appropriate.”

Geordan then shifted his focus towards female students.

“Girls, don’t put yourselves in a situation where someone could question some sort of activity that has been going on. We need to educate you with self defense, teaching you folks, arming yourselves so you can defend yourself, that is going to be done this year,” he said.  

Geordan views these topics as easy fixes for the school to make students’ lives easier, and he plans to communicate the seniors’ feedback with building administration in order to improve the school.

About the Writers
Diem Mi Le, Senior Contributor

January 18th, the last day Diem Mi Le will ever step foot in Canfield High School.

Canfield High student Diem Mi Le is finishing her classes early to travel across the world to revisit her home country of Vietnam. Le is originally from Saigon, Vietnam; before moving to the United States at age seven.

She spoke of her adjustments to moving to a new country, “Vietnam is so different from the United States.” She touched on learning a new language as well, “I learned a little English over there, but I also learned a lot here because I got to practice through talking to people everyday,” Le recalled.

For her first time back to Vietnam, she plans on leaving in January, but is unsure on the length of her stay. “I don’t know how long I’m going to be there, it will depend on if I like it there or not,” she stated.

While there, she has big plans, “Vietnam is actually a very unique country, you can visit mountains and beaches, and there is a lot of great food and just a lot of things to do in general.” she explained.

In addition to visiting all of the exciting aspects Vietnam has to offer, Le will also be visiting her family, who still lives there. “I actually have a lot of family members over there, my grandma still lives there as well.” said Le.

This trip took planning and thought, since she will be leaving halfway through her senior year. “I will be graduating before my trip, so I will have already finished all the classes I need by the time I leave.” Le clarified. She also stated that she was unsure if she will be back for the graduation ceremony or not.

Le concluded with, “It’s been 10 years, so I’m really excited to go back to Vietnam, I think it will be a great experience.”

Aidyn Jones, Senior Contributor

Aidyn Jones started working at a new store called “Pulp” this summer in Boardman, where she mostly cleans up and makes costumers’ smoothies.

Now back at school for her senior year, she is an AP art student and spends about half of her day in the art room making projects for her art portfolio due at the end of March.

“Having 3 pieces of art out of 29 is terrifying, I don’t know if i’m going to get it done but i’m going to have to,” said Jones.

She needs to get 30 to 40 solid pieces in her portfolio if she chose to apply to a fine arts college. When asked what type of art she likes to create she said “I use a lot of black and white drawing mediums like charcoal and graphite” but likes to draw her pictures in a realistic styling.

Although she doesn’t mind being in the service industry for now while she is in high school, she does not plan on working there for long considering she will have to quit for when she wants to move away for college.

Jones plans on going to Ohio State University after graduation to possibly major in interior design and minoring in art.

Another hobby Jones said she enjoys doing is working with animals which is another possible career path for her in her future.

“If I were to work with animals in the future I would like to travel to Australia and work with Kangaroos in the wild,” Jones said–but currently she only has two dogs, Vincenzo and Salvatore.