It’s Art Show season at CHS

On May 23rd and 24th, students across the Canfield School District will display their art at the annual Art Show. To celebrate the talent of dedicated students, selected seniors will have a booth to display their pieces throughout the years. All of the AP Drawing seniors are guaranteed a booth and each have a unique creative process.

Francesca Santon starts by observing everyday objects and taking pictures. Then, she decides how to change the colors and details to fit her style. Santon explained, “Usually, I just map it out inside of my head. Then, I will draw or sketch things a few times. Then, I will go in with color.”

Natalia Ritenour’s art follows a similar pattern, but the changes are exaggerated even further. She added, “Say if I were doing a portrait of a face, I would add blue into it. That’s just my thing or I’ll put alien rings around it. I love to do that stuff.”

However, the creative process doesn’t always come with ease. Kate Jenkins said, “I don’t work through a creative block. You need time. If you’re blocked and nothing’s working, you need to take a break and step back.”

To help gather ideas, Jenkins gets inspiration from other artists and their techniques.

Alyssa Santoro also faces creative blocks. Since she enjoys realistic pieces, Santoro is able to pull elements from her personal life. She said, “When I do a piece, it always means something to me.”

If Santoro is particularly stuck, Mr. Hoopes is willing to offer ideas and techniques.

Taryn Rothbauer uses her art to appreciate her loved ones. She said, “Most of what I do is drawings of people I love. If I’m ever feeling really grateful for a person or I really miss a person, that is my inspiration.”

Rothbauer also mentioned her appreciation for religious glorification pieces, which she incorporates into her work. Rothbauer uses acrylics to smooth out her rough movements. Additionally, she uses acrylics and water to add translucent light to her religious pieces.

While each of these seniors has a different approach to art, one thing is clear: they are all incredibly talented.

About the Writers
Sophia Campos, Junior Contributor

It is questionable to most people if extra curricular activities are meaningful, or will move into your everyday life. What students expose themselves to in high school can affect their character in the long run.

Sophia Campos, a junior at Canfield High School, is using these extra curricular activities to help her explain her culture in an entertaining, yet informative way.

One of many extra curricular activities that Campos does is speech and debate where she competes in the informative category. “Basically I write a ten minute speech about whatever you want, and then I get to present it, and I get to use visual aids as well” Campos explained.

Speech and debate is an amazing way to work on your public speaking skills, but Campos uses her category to her advantage, and is speaking about what she knows.

On August 21, 2017 her parents George and Pattie Campos opened the first Little Greek Fresh Grill in Ohio. That has been making the Campos’ life pretty, as Sophia describes it, “hectic”, but in the long run it will be very rewarding.

“Greek food and Greek culture really hit home to me, so that’s why I decided to do my speech on it this year”, she concluded.

-Kaleigh Ceci

Dominic DeRamo, Junior Contributor

There are a variety of organizations available at Canfield High school for the students to join. One that’s appealing to Dominic DeRamo is Speech and Debate.

DeRamo said “I’m part of the Speech and Debate team and I’m very dedicated to that.”

Speech and Debate has gotten him involved in other topic areas that he didn’t think he would be interested in, particularly government and politics.

DeRamo said that “going into politics is something that’s very important but I think it’s even kind of undervalued in society.”

DeRamo has been involved in Speech and Debate since he was a freshman and he’s wrapping up his third year at Canfield High school. His goal for this year is “aiming for finals which is the top 6 in the state.”

He has many different unique ways of preparing for state. He goes home every night and usually reads news articles, he also has a variety of around ten news apps on his phone to know what’s going on around him, and he is constantly is giving practice speeches.

“I love competing and the energy around competitions is exhilarating,” DeRamo said.

DeRamo says that “I definitely think that speech and debate has shaped my life in the sense that it has given me intrest in law and politics.”

To conclude, he says that “over the summer I went to visit and tour Ohio State, It was awesome to go and see the campus and just how big everything is.”

“Ohio State is definitely a possibility,” DeRamo said.

-Kailey Charnesky