CHS students excel at art

When coming into high school, it’s quite obvious that each student has their own interests and hobbies, whether it be academics or sports. When looking farther into Canfield High School, the first image that pops into mind is an undefeated football team. Although that is a great accomplishment for our community, there is also a handful of clubs/sports which have always been in the dark and have never really had the recognition they deserve. The art department is one of them. Art at Canfield high has its own type of flavor that makes it different from other programs in the area, it incorporates students of all types to put aside sports, academics and extracurriculars and create something unique.

Senior Kate Jenkins has been working in the art department since her freshman year and has created many pieces that she holds close to her. It was in seventh grade when Jenkins was ill and first started drawing to make her not only feel better but also made her very happy.

Jenkins said, “I find inspiration off of other people’s work and famous paintings and then transforming it to my own art.”

Jenkins is most proud of a self portrait she painted of herself praying. This painting placed second in the Congressional Art Competition in Washington DC. She wants to continue expressing her passion and skill for art by attending art school.

Senior Alyssa Santoro has had her passion since she was a very young child, mostly recreating Disney characters or other animated cartoons. Alyssa’s uncle was her main reason for beginning art.

Santoro said, “He would always draw when he would babysit me so I would normally draw with him to pass the time.”

Along with Jenkins, she is most proud of when her painting “Seeing Double” won first place in the Congressional Art Competition in Washington DC. Due to the accomplishment, her work was able to be hung within the Capitol building for a year. Alyssa plans to further her education by majoring in teaching and minoring in art to hopefully become an art teacher.