This week in news: GOP vs. healthcare, North Korea, the FBI and more

GOP celebrates victory, but still has a long road ahead on healthcare.

After two failed attempts to repeal and replace Obama-care since President Trump took office, the U.S. House of Representatives gathered enough republican support to pass the American Health Care Act, a move that is first in the process of officially overturning the Affordable Care Act, signed into law by former President Barack Obama.

The GOP cheered and spoke in victorious tones with President Trump in the White House Rose Garden on Thursday, but critics are warning, not so fast.

The bill has a long way to go, as it is expected to come with fierce debate in the United States Senate, after many republican law-makers admitted to not reading the bill in its entirety before voting “yes.”

Unlike the last attempt, the Congressional Budget Office has yet to score the newly drafted piece of legislation, as revealed in their last report, the first push would have cost nearly twenty-four million people health-care coverage over the next ten years.

Republican law-makers in the Senate, such as Ohio’s Rob Portman, are even suggesting their hopes to map out their own version of the bill.

North Korea, U.S. Tensions Rise

Suspense is on the rise in North Korea today, as the leader of that country, 33 year old Kim Jong Un, said that the United States and South Korean allies are planning an execution of the dictator.

The hostile state is also tightening its stance on neighboring China, after their state-run media has spoken much more critically of Kim Jong Un.

This all comes in the same week that United States President, Donald Trump, said in an interview with Reuters that he would be, “honored” to meet Kim Jong Un, “Under the right circumstances.”

The FBI vs. Congress

In what has been nothing short of a showdown between the FBI and members of Congress. FBI Director, James Comey testified before a Congressional committee over his actions during the 2016 campaign over the FBI’s investigation into former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton’s use of a private e-mail server. Comey said that the thought of his or the bureau’s actions having affected the outcome of the November 8 election makes him “mildly nauseous.”

Civil War Talk

President Trump said in an interview on Monday that the Civil War could have been worked out if Andrew Jackson “had been a little later.”

“I mean, had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn’t have had the Civil War. He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart. And he was really angry that — he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, ‘There’s no reason for this.’ People don’t realize, you know, the Civil War — if you think about it, why? People don’t ask that question, but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?”

The President’s comments sparked concern and confusion both far and wide.

Chelsea Clinton, daughter of President and former First Lady Hillary Clinton tweeted the reason the Civil War occurred has a “1 word answer: Slavery.”

As CNN notes, “Trump’s comments about both the war and Jackson disregard key historical events. Slavery was the underlying issue fueling the fight over states’ rights that ultimately led to the Civil War. The federal government tried to avoid a conflict for years, most notably with the Compromise of 1850. As president, Jackson, a slaveowner, famously led the forced removal of 17,000 Cherokees across the country, which resulted in the deaths of thousands.”

Trump’s remarks caused White House Press Secretary, Sean Spicer, to be caught in the cross-fires of questions from reporters on the topic, but they were not posed to the Secretary until he was walking out of the briefing room.

‘This Week in News’ is a new installment from The Cardinal reporter, Vincent Patierno–it will be available every Friday afternoon.