Treat Yo Self: Sweat off your stress

Brooke Crissman

Hey, you. Yeah, you. Slow down a little.

I know what you’re thinking.

I guarantee that somewhere in the back of your wandering mind you are thinking of the list of things you have to do today or the stresses that are constantly and quietly suffocating your well-being. Organizing everything that must be done from top priority to lowest, but where are you at on that list? Yeah, life’s hard,  but you know what makes it harder? Focusing every ounce of it on everything but you.

Self care is necessary. My way of doing it is working out. I know, lifting heavy weights or pushing yourself to the point of nausea doesn’t sound like a fun way to spend your extra time, but it’s necessary for me and my well being. Any time I am faced with a stressful situation, exercise makes me feel better. If you’re looking for a way to de-stress, maybe working out will work for you, too!

I began working out two summers ago. While it has not been long since I started, I have drastically changed the way  I view exercise and how I do it. I began exercise with the counterproductive mentality that exercise will make me more attractive and will make people like me more. About a year into my journey, I realized that pushing my body to the limit had a lot less to do with how other people think about me and a lot more to do with self-care and self-service.

Now I exercise because it never fails to make my day more productive. I have found that falling in love with the process is the only way to see results, and once you see them, it will inspire you to push yourself past your comfort zone even further.

It is common to feel “gym anxiety” or to be intimidated by the thought of doing something that may make you look inexperienced in front of dozens of strangers. I felt this same anxiety when I began, but now I understand that everyone is at the gym to do a justice to themselves. They are not worried about you and, trust me, they aren’t staring like you think they are!  

If you don’t know where to start, it is easy to find beginner guides on how to exercise the right way. On YouTube, Instagram, and other social media sites, exercise tutorials are easily accessible to anyone! So, the next time you are writing your to-do list, don’t forget to leave some room for yourself, and never underestimate the power that your mind and body can have if you actively acknowledge their potential.

Check out these other guides to self-care if an intense workout isn’t your thing:

Simmer down your stress with cooking

Yoganna feel better

Run away from your problems

Feline stressed?

About the Writer
Brooke Crissman, Senior Contributor

To say that Senior Brooke Crissman makes the most of her time here at Canfield High School is a giant understatement. Crissman has devoted a huge majority...