Taylor Swift’s 13 best songs

Elizabeth Kennedy, Sophomore Contributor

It is a well known fact by many die-hard Taylor Swift fans that thirteen is Swift’s lucky number.  In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad Taylor Swift song. However, like anyone else, I do have my favorites. So I decided to make the difficult decision of creating a list of my personal thirteen favorites.

1.   “Shake It Off”

Though many people view this song as “annoying” or “overplayed,” I love this song because of the true meaning behind the lyrics.  Shake It Off was written to remind anyone going through a rough time such as getting bullied or picked on that it is better to “shake it off” than to let it bother you.  With lyrics such as “haters gonna hate” and “heartbreakers gonna break,” Swift shows fans from around the world to block out the negative people in your life and forget about them.

1.   “Girl At Home”

“Girl At Home” is a song that not many people know about, unless of course you are a true fan of Taylor Swift.  This song stands out to me because it is basically a song about why cheating in relationships is wrong. Swift lively sings about how when in a relationship and someone decides to cheat, they will get caught.  With her powerful and stern lyrics, she is sending a message to the cheaters that they will be hurting their partner in the long run. 

1.   “New Romantics”

This is a song Swift included on her deluxe version of the album titled 1989.  The intentions of this song is to be a fun, up-beat tune to realize the goods of being single.  With her lyrics, “Heartbreak is the national anthem, we sing it proudly,” she brings fans to the realization that they may be single for a reason and it may be a good thing that relationship did not work.  With this song, Taylor Swift allows fans to see the positive aspect of heartbreak.

1.   “Call It What You Want”

This lyrically powerful song was written by Swift in spite of her current romantic relationship with the British actor Joe Alwyn.  This is a relatable song for anyone who is in love. As she sings to the “gorgeous” beat of this love song, fans can conclude that Swift is truly happy with her current love, which allows lovers to happily relate to the outstanding metaphors mentioned in the lyrics. 

1.   “Christmas Tree Farm”

Although this is a Christmas song and not ideal for most people to listen to all year, you may reconsider that decision after paying close attention to the lyrics.  This is Swift’s newest Christmas tune, introducing her childhood home and the love of her life when she sings: “Just being in your arms, takes me back to that little farm.”  Swift also includes a feeling of nostalgia after singing more about her childhood and including a music video of a collaboration of childhood winter videos. This is a song I would recommend everyone to listen to anytime of the year, even considering it being a Christmas song.  

1.   “Wildest Dreams”

This song is the definition of a dream.  With Taylor’s beautiful vocals mixed with the soft electronic instrumentals, this is the perfect song to listen to in order to resume to your calm state of mind: “Say you’ll see me again even if it’s just in your wildest dreams.”  “Wildest Dreams” is full of sunset scenarios that could put anyone in a calm and romantic mood. This is a song I would definitely encourage anyone to listen to, and they would not regret it.

1.   “I Wish You Would”

“I Wish You Would” is one of my all time favorite songs.  This song’s real-life events makes it far more relatable, and easy to picture the story Swift is trying to tell within the lyrics.  This is a song about missing a certain person, and wishing they were with you at that moment. To add to this, the song’s electronic beat is extremely catchy and would grab your attention within the first few seconds of the song playing.   

1.   “Red”

This song is made up of metaphors. In fact, almost every line is a metaphor.  It starts off as a beautifully acoustic guitar, then continues with Swift’s vocals and lyrics.  This amazing song that compares different emotions and feelings to the colors blue, dark grey, and red.  Each color giving emotions of frustration, craziness, insanity, passion, and confusion. “Red” would be a great song for anyone who is running through an abundance of emotions to listen to. 

1.   “Clean”

“Clean” is one of the most beautifully written songs on Taylor’s album, 1989.  This song is written to remind anyone going through a rough time that it will eventually be resolved and everything will be okay.  As she sings, “And by morning, gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean,” she explains that once she got the toxic people out of her life, her mental health finally got better for the time being.  “Clean,” would be a perfect song for anyone to listen to if they are going through something and would like it to be resolved.

1.   “The Man”

Swift’s current newest album, Lover features a song called “The Man.”  This is a song that teaches women not to let a man push her around, and not to let a man tell her she’s not strong.  “The Man” is full of stereotypical scenarios between men and women, and Swift comes back to say a woman can have the same traits.  When she sings, “I’m so sick of running as fast as I can, wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man,” she continues the song by singing, “’Cause if I was a man, then I’d be the man.”  The meaning behind these lines is Swift is tired of getting pushed around by the men who have bullied her in the past. Therefore, this is a song that is relatable in different aspects to women.

1.   “All Too Well”

“All Too Well” is the most heartfelt song Swift has ever written.  While writing this song after a painful breakup, Swift would get emotional while performing the song.  However, now, she views this song as a song her fans turned into a positive experience for her. So, Taylor now performs this song with a smile on her face and no regrets.  This song would be recommended to anyone going through a rough breakup. This is because once they are finally over that breakup, they will view it as a positive point in their life. 

1.   “Lover”

“Lover” is the perfect song to play at a wedding.  This beyond romantic love song was written by Taylor to express her true feelings to her boyfriend, actor Joe Alwyn.  When Taylor sings, “I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover,” she suggests that she has already made wedding arrangements with her current boyfriend, but has yet to be announced.  This song is reminding everyone that there is true love in the world for everyone eventually, but love takes time. When someone finally finds true love, it will be worth it.

1.   “Long Live”

There’s no doubt in my mind that “Long Live” is Swift’s best song.  From her heartfelt lyrics, to the dream-like melody and instrumental, to even the fact that it is a song dedicated to her fans, it immediately serenades listeners and encourages them to be appreciative.  This song is commonly known among fans as the “Swiftie anthem,” and for good reason. While singing her sincere poem, she introduces metaphors that bring the song to life, such as: “I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you.”  This is signifying that she has gone through many hardships and accomplishments with the help of her fans to get through them. This song has always held a special place in my heart, for its strong and powerful lyrics.