Does Astrology Dictate a Persons Personality?

Chloe Deak, Junior Contributor

Many people only know the basics when it comes to astrology, and even more people are skeptical on whether if it is accurate or not. So here I am, being the one to try to argue if astrology is true or if it’s just a whole hoax.

For this experiment I decided to interview four people, in which two of these people believe in astrology and the other two are a little bit more skeptical. Before this interview I asked these four people when their birthday is, where they were born and if they knew, what time they were born. All of these components come into play when figuring out one’s astrological chart. 

To give more context in how im going to explore this experiment I first have to give a quick crash course on what astrology really is.  Most people only know their sun sign, which is the most basic form of astrology, believe it or not there’s around 12 signs that compose your chart. Those signs fall into your rising sign, sun, moon, venus, mars, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune and pluto. All of these planets represent different parts of your personality that supposedly composes you.To find this kind of information for each individual, I used their birthday and inputted it into this thing called a natal chart, which in turn gives me all this information. 

Though it would be incredibly silly (and too long of an article) to go through each of these individuals signs and compare and contrast with their interview.  I decided to focus on the most important ones, your rising, sun and moon. In which your rising sign rules your first impressions and how you look. Your sun sign represents your personality as a whole and your ego, while your moon sign represents your emotions and inner self.  

Eve Cardello

Sagittarius Rising

Capricorn Sun

Pisces Moon

C: What are three words to describe you? 

E: Pushover, sensitive and careful

C:What do you believe is the most important thing in life?

E: To have a purpose and to make an impact

C: If you or a friend are going through something, how would you cope/help?

E: If I’m going through something, I tend to close myself off from everyone until i have dealt with it fully. If someone else is going through something, I ask them what a good way to deal with it and I try and do exactly that.

C: What’s a song that would be the theme song of your life?

E: “Mad world.” 

C: If you want to be friends with someone, how would you approach them?

E: I find out their interests and then I become interested in that as well. I like appeal to them

C: Do you see yourself as a dreamer or a realist? Why? 

E: A realist, i used to be more of a dreamer and then i saw it set me up for too much failure because I had unrealistic expectations. 

C: What is your main passion? 

E: As of now, I’m 100% focused on trying to enlist and get job I want in the Air Force. 

So lets start breaking this down, a Capricorn sun is known for being hardworking, having an intense drive as well as being very disciplined. Many these qualities line up with the core responses of this interview.  For example, the fact that Eve wants to make an impact and she is working hard towards her future. For Pisces moons, they are known to be sensitive, and soft-hearted, relating to this interview, as well as knowing her personally I know for a fact she’s a very protective giving person that aligns with Pisces qualities. Pisces moons also tend to be strong dreamers, which she states she once was, but her Capricorn qualities break through, somewhat overthrowing her Pisces qualities and hence making her more of a realist in all. 

–9/10 accuracy 

Eda Yazar

Sag Rising

Pisces Sun

Capricorn Moon

E:  Extroverted, smart, friendly

E: Either money or happiness

E: I just think that you need to be with them the whole time, help them through it and don’t abandon them

E: “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

E: Be myself, because I don’t want to act differently around someone and have to be stuck in a persona that isn’t exactly me. 

E: Definitely a dreamer, I’m always planning ahead, like for example I really want to move to Hawaii. So things like that. 

C: What is your main passion? 

E:  Become a veterinarian, work hard at school and work towards it. 

To first examine Eda’s Sun sign which is in Pisces, its tremendously  expressed throughout her personality, she even bluntly explains on how much of a dreamer she is, which is a predominant Pisces trait. These types of people are also known to be social and have a deep sense of kindness, Eda is a very extroverted and down to earth person which I believe stems from her Pisces sun. Her Capricorn moon is also expressed quite strongly as well, as on one her most important things in life she replied with money, which Capricorns are known to be business like and have a fond liking to money. 

–10/10 accuracy  

Nate Gostey 

Cancer Rising

Scorpio Sun

Scorpio Moon

N: Open Minded, optimistic and hard working 

N: Living to the best of your ability. 

N: I would give them advice and support them through whatever they may need. 

N: “Forbidden Friendship” by John Powell

N: I would go up and say hi and introduce myself and ask them to hang out. 

N: A realist, I think of everything more logically than most people would. 

C: What is your main passion? 

N:  I think I want to start a business eventually. 

So obviously, this interview is one of the shortest as well he was very forward and to the point, so it’s very hard in this extent to break it down and bring it to a concise point, but his Sun and Moon are both Scorpio so the personality that Scorpio holds should be very prominent. Though This interview  directly lines up with a core value Scorpio is known for, which is being very mysterious and kept to themselves. So because of the directness there isn’t much for me to compare. 

–6/10 accuracy

Anthony Scarmack

Capricorn Rising

Virgo Sun

Libra Moon

A: Hardworking, leadership, cleanliness

A: success, and finding people who support me 

A:I would try and reinforce that I’m there for them and whatever they need, and I will never start drama against them. 

A:  Right now, I really like “Brown Eyes” by Lady Gaga. Basically, I feel like Lady Gaga. I am Lady Gaga.

A:  very friendly, kind, open and honest.

A: I see myself as a realist when it comes to important impactful life things , though I do tend to dream but in the back of my head i know the reality of things so I tend to shut out thoughts that are too out there. 

C: What is your main passion? 

A: Music, the way it speaks to me and I feel like I can express myself through it.

So let’s first start examining his Sun, a Virgo is known to be an intellectual and a perfectionist. They also tend to be very OCD and sometimes a germaphobe, which Anthony clearly stated at the beginning of his interview that cleanliness is a word that describes him most. Besides that and hardworking I don’t clearly see much of his Sun portrayed through his interview, on the contrary his Libra moon is very prominent. Libras are known to be humorous, charming and well invested into the arts. While talking to Anthony his tone was very comical and that is somewhat shining through our discussion. He also takes his musical hobbies very seriously and devotes most of his time to improving. This is a very Libra quality to have. Libras are known to be charming conversationalists as well, which Anthony can talk and approach about anyone and become friends with that said person very quickly. 

–7/10 accuracy. 

So in all, it’s very hard to really know whether or not astrology is a true dictator of people’s personalities. Humans are complex beings whom are always changing and altering. 

If you think about it there’s much more components to astrology as well that i’m not even familiar with. As well it’s tough to completely judge a person’s whole personality off of five questions.

If I wanted to make an educated, in-depth argument, I would have to study and become very educated in the field of astrology, as well follow a large number of people and study their mind and actions while comparing that to my knowledge. In which i don’t have that kind of power at the moment of being a junior at Canfield High School, but maybe one day I will be able to make more of a cohesive response.