Avengers: Infinity War – A spoiler-filled review

WARNING: SPOILERS!

Avengers: Infinity War was released on April 27 and has since gone on to break various Box Office records, such as biggest movie opening and fastest to $1 billion.

Avengers: Infinity War is a great movie that is the 19th movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The Marvel Cinematic Universe initially started out with Iron Man in 2008. Marvel has been teasing the highly anticipated movie in previous films, including post-credit scenes in The Avengers (2012), and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015). Additionally, Thanos appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) and the Infinity Stones have been teased throughout various films in the MCU.

Avengers: Infinity War was directed by the Russo brothers. They have directed some of Marvel’s best films to date including Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War. The Russo Brothers from Cleveland, Ohio deliver again with Avengers: Infinity War, which is one of Marvel’s best films to date.

Due to the nature of the film and the amount of characters that it includes, Infinity War heavily relies on audiences seeing most of the previous MCU movies if they want to have the biggest emotional impact and if they want to understand the plot and who the characters are, and why they are in the locations that they are and why they make certain decisions throughout the film. However, general audiences can still enjoy this movie if they have a few characters they enjoy seeing on screen and if they have seen some of the previous movies, such as Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers.

One of the major concerns for this movie was that there would be too many superheroes in the film, and that not all the heroes would get a fair amount of screen time. Although this is partly true, the Russo Brothers have done their best to make sure that each character gets their fair share of screen time and that they have an important role in the story.

One of the best parts of Marvel’s latest film is the Mad Titan himself, Thanos. He is the main antagonist in the film, alongside the Black Order, which helps him accomplish his goal of gaining all the Infinity Stones. Although the MCU is often criticized for having lackluster villains, Thanos is a well developed villains whose motives are clearly shown throughout the film. This film has the audience often sympathizing with him, and this has made many fans wondering if the Mad Titan is so bad after all. Thanos is probably the best villain introduced to the MCU so far, and this is because he can be seen as a good guy based on what he believes and how he wants to make the universe a better place for all life, but he is misguided and wants to achieve his goal by destroying half of all life in the universe. Other great villains in the MCU include Loki, Ego and The Winter Soldier.

Infinity War includes various emotional scenes throughout the film. The film starts out with Loki and Heimdall dying. Loki saves his brother, Thor, by giving Thanos the Tesseract. Upon doing so, Loki tries to assassinate the Mad Titan, but Thanos than proceeds by choking Loki to death. Heimdall ends up sacrificing his life so that the Hulk can escape to Earth. Later in the film we see Gamora and Thanos together on Vormir, where the Soul Stone is located. Thanos has to make a sacrifice of someone (a soul) he loves for the Soul Stone. Thanos than sacrifices Gamora so that he can have the Soul Stone. Near the end of the film, we see an emotional scene with Scarlet Witch and Vision. Once Thanos has 5 out of the 6 Infinity Stones, Vision finds that he must sacrifice himself and the Infinity Stone for the betterment of the universe. Scarlet Witch has trouble destroying the Infinity Stone in Vision’s head because of their romantic relationship together. She then proceeds to use her mind powers to destroy the Infinity Stone so Thanos can’t get it. Unfortunately, Thanos reverses Vision’s death with the Time Stone and rips the Infinity Stone out of his head. All of these deaths throughout the film are very emotional, and it remains to be seen if Marvel will reverse any of them in future films.

The action Scenes in Avengers: Infinity War is another highlight of the film. The Russo Brothers are known greatly for their great action sequences in the previous Marvel films they directed. They keep the tradition for the latest installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with the Battle of Wakanda and the Battle on Titan being some of the best and most entertaining fight scenes in the entire franchise.

The biggest criticism for the film is the ending. At the end of the film, Thanos has achieved his goal of gaining all 6 of the Infinity Stones. He then snaps his fingers, killing half of life in the universe. The film shows some of Marvel’s most beloved characters, such as Star Lord, Spiderman and Black Panther dying (disintegrating) with everyone else. Although this is an emotional scene, it is hard to believe this is truly the end for all of these heroes because Marvel has already confirmed that they will be releasing Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and Spiderman: Homecoming 2 after Avengers 4. However, it remains to be seen how these heroes will come back and how big of a role they will or won’t have in Avengers 4.

Rating: 9/10

Avengers 4 is set to come out May 3, 2019 and will be the continuation to Infinity War. Until then, fans can look forward to Ant-Man and the Wasp on July 6, 2018 and Captain Marvel on March 6, 2019.