Much love for Love, Simon (movie review)

Dear Reader, I’m just like you. I’m sick of a stereotypical love story where the guy always gets the girl. I’m sick and tired of the stereotypical love story, where everything happens perfectly, and nothing goes wrong; but everybody deserves a good love story, and I’m about to tell you one.

Love, Sophia

The opening lines to the $17 million box office hit are, “Everybody deserves a great love story.” Love, Simon is based on the book Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda. The movie is centered around 17 year old Simon Spier and his life just got a lot more complicated. Simon is gay, but he is afraid his friends and family will judge him if he comes out. The movie follows Simon through his senior year of high school, from the school musical, parties, friends and even a love interest. Simon starts emailing an anonymous boy identified as Blue, and they start to fall in love.

This movie is not your typical love story, even if the movie has cliche elements. For example, the administrators try to be in the protagonist’s life throughout the whole movie, the parents are supportive and the students throw parties every weekend. As a high school student, I know even though our administrators try to be in all students’ lives, it doesn’t happen and that not all parents are supportive of kids decisions. I’m lucky that my parents will always support me, but that’s not the case for all kids in high school. Although the exterior may seem cliche, the interior is anything but typical, mainly because Simon struggles to not only come out to his family, but a student outs Simon to the whole school. There is a part in the movie when Simon’s mom says, “These last few years, it’s almost like I could feel you holding your breath…you get to exhale now.” I feel like when Simon’s mom says this, it’s not only a wake up call for parents, but for teens. This is letting them know that it’s okay to be who you are, and no matter how many people judge you for it, the people who love you won’t.

Love, Simon made me cry…a lot, not because it was upsetting, but because this is happening to kids all across the country, and the fact that Simon felt like he had to prove to his family he was still himself is heartbreaking.

The movie also has a great soundtrack, with fun songs that you would want to sing with friends. I love how fun the movie is, but the only thing I don’t like is that, sadly, this love story won’t happen for all kids who are closeted, but I wish it would. Overall, this movie gets a five star rating from me because of the immense detail, the comedic element and the true connection between two human beings.  

Love, Simon is the perfect teen romance. The movie is funny and lighthearted, but it’s also heartbreaking and extremely heavy. Love, Simon is definitely a movie to check out, so grab some friends, and maybe some tissues, too.