Five Ohio bands you should totally check out

The past few years have been a feat for Ohio music lovers. We’ve had Cincinnati’s Walk the Moon hit radio waves with “Shut Up and Dance,” and as of last week twenty one pilots won a grammy for best pop duo.

But, in a music scene filled to the brim with crappy lo-fi indie bands and punk artists that will never play a venue bigger than their parent’s basement, there are some artists that shine amongst them. I’ve picked five of my favorites and think you should check them out.

Vesperteen

Location: Columbus

Genre: Indie Pop

Listen to : “Shatter in the Night”

Fronted by Colin Rigsby, this group was formed for the reason of expressing emotion. While Rigsby brings on supporting band members for live shows, the project is widely based around him. Josh Dun is a huge supporter of the group’s work. So, if you go to a show you might meet a celebrity there 🙂

Alteras

Location: Youngstown!

Genre: Rock / Post Hardcore / Metal

Listen to: “Broke”

Come for the hot drummer, stay for the tunes. Signed to Revival Recordings, This band is, without a doubt, one of the biggest in the Rust Belt music scene. If you’ve been needing a local band that packs a punch, they’re for you.

Relient K

Location: Canton

Genre: Rock

Listen to: “Be My Escape”

Ever heard of a religious pop-punk band? Well, now you have. Formed in 1998, this band covers some pretty major 2000’s punk tropes. Take for example the song “Sadie Hawkins Dance,” which covers the coming-of-age issue that is the dreaded high school dance. And hey, they’re a religious band! Even your grandmother will love them.

Public

Location: Cincinnati (RIP Harambe)

Genre: Pop / Pop-Rock

Listen to: “4Her”

Fully embracing a pop sound while mixing in pieces of funk and other genres, this infectious three piece has gained a lot of traction in the past few years. Touring with the likes of Walk the Moon and playing festivals around Ohio, the future looks bright for Public the Band.

Kid Runner

Location: Columbus

Genre: Alt Pop

Listen to: “Don’t Change Me”

Featuring a male and female singer, this adds some spice to their pop sound. The singer / keyboardist has toured with indie hit Magic Man, filling in for keyboards. If you’re a fan of “Shameless” their song was featured on season 7 episode 7, “You’ll Never Ever Get A Chicken In Your Whole Entire Life.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Five Ohio bands you should totally check out”

1. Robert on February 27th, 2017 1:33 pm

Good, but could use more Blood on the Dance Floor.

*