Is stress FINALLY getting to you?

Is stress finally getting to you?

Finals week is notorious for inducing immense amounts of stress, sleep deprivation, and all around anxiety in students of all ages. With a sudden spike for standardized testing year round, the question is often asked, “Are finals really worth it or necessary?”

CHS AP student Amanda Blanco said, “Most of my classes had midterms this semester, and so finals really only comprise .1% of my grade. Since I got decent high A’s in both quarters, finals aren’t really stressful for me at all this time around.” she said. “ I like to stay on top of my work throughout the semester so that I can relax during finals week instead of scrambling like crazy.”

While Blanco had a good point and probably the most practical output, many students still disagree. When posed with the same question, AP student Dominic DuPonty felt very differently.

“Canfield offers incredibly difficult courses, and the content we receive especially at the AP level is definitely beyond challenging. This semester I have finals in AP gov., AP bio, and college writing. I think if a student is doing well enough to receive A’s in classes like that, they’ve already proven themselves. Not to mention we still have to take the AP exams. I don’t see why finals are even necessary,” said Duponty. 

With some classes being all year, teachers are having midterms or assigning projects for the week. Senior Maggie Brucoli was able to weigh in on this.

“Well I only have one final but I have a test or presentation in every class in the next two days so that’s killing me,” said Brucoli.

Not only are students having to study for finals but have the added stress of creating presentations and memorizing speeches. These assignments are being given out during the week of finals which only puts more work on the student giving them less time for studying. 

Senior Erin Jones said that finals week this semester is probably one of the most hectic weeks of her life: “Not only do I have finals, but i have dance competitions coming up and it’s really hard to balance it all. I understand that this is going to be the last finals week that really matters because I’m going to be accepted into college by the time the next one rolls around, but this one really matters.”

Jones went on to say, “I don’t think Canfield as a whole or even just our teachers understand that not only do we have school to worry about, but our extracurricular activities, my family life and my social life. It’s just really hard to keep it all in balance.”

Sophomore Bobby Kutsch was able to tell us about the difficulty of balancing the stress of finals with athletics.

“Some of my teachers assigned essays as a final for us that we’re supposed to do outside of school. I have swim practice everyday from 4:30-6:30 and don’t usually get home until 7:15. When I do get home I still have to eat and shower which doesn’t leave a lot of time for me to finish all my work for every class,” said Kutsch. 

Overall, are finals really doing anything but stressing out our student bodies? On one hand, they are preparing us for college, but on the other, is making 20% of our grades depend on one day okay or even realistic? When AP tests, standardized testing, and raw course curriculum are considered, the minute benefits of finals seem to be far outweighed by the harms.